Friends of Freddy Ride West

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22 10:16 PM
      Since we do have a few MythSoc people in CA, and this is the first time that the Friends of Freddy convention has moved west from New York, and I know there's at least a little overlap in interest, I should've thought to mention this sooner.  But I'd not actually looked at the info before, and I think it's pretty attractive for anyone close enough to still consider attending--I wish that I could!:

      Freddy Goes West
      The 2011 Friends of Freddy Convention
      March 25-27, 2011

      As you can imagine, it takes something special to get the Friends of Freddy to cross the Mississippi. In this case, it's former president and leading Brooks and Freddy scholar Michael Cart donating most of his collection to the Arne Nixon Center. This is your chance to see Brooksiana like the actual typewriter that the Freddy books were written on. You'll also be close to some amazing places to visit if you want to stay a little longer. For more information about those possibilities, see FoF member Peter Tamas's writeup here (as a PDF file).

      Additionally, it's Walter Brooks' 125th birthday, and the 25th anniversary of the very first Friends of Freddy convention.

      Anyone is welcome to give a presentation. If interested, please contact Michael Cart at mrmcart@...

      .

      Details

      The 2011 Friends of Freddy convention will take place at the Arne Nixon Center for Children's Literature in Fresno, CA, to which Brooks biographer and noted authority on children's literature Michael Cart has donated most of his Walter Brooks material. Activities will include talks and discussions about Brooks, illustrator Kurt Wiese, and the Freddy books, and will feature a tour of the Nixon Center and Library that focuses on their Brooksiana.

      Registration is free for Friends of Freddy members, $25 to nonmembers. However, registration includes a two-year US membership in the Friends of Freddy, a $25 value.

      Tentative schedule from Michael Cart (subject to change without notice):

      Friday evening: No host dinner at Marie Callender restaurant adjacent to the Piccadilly Inn. There could be a getting-to-know-you gathering afterward at the Inn if folks would like.

      Saturday:

      • 8:00-9:00 a.m. Registration and refreshments at Henry Madden Library
      • 9:00 – 10:00: Welcome by University Librarian Peter McDonald , Angelica Carpenter, Arne Nixon Center Curator, and Rick Hill, Friends President; introductions; presentation by Angelica about the Nixon Center; brief remarks by Michael Cart about his donation of books and materials to the Nixon Center
      • 10:00-10:15 Break (refreshments again provided by the Center)
      • 10:15 – 11:30: Tours of Nixon Center and Library. We plan to divide the attendees into small groups to be led on tour by various and sundry officials and docents. One of the stops will be the four large displays of Brooksiana the Center will have mounted. I’ll handle that portion of the tour.
      • 11:30 – 12: The usual type of presentation by an FoF member.
      • 12 – 1:30: Lunch (Center will provide box lunches)
      • 1:45 – 2:45: Presentation about the Freddy books’ illustrator Kurt Wiese
      • 2:45 – 3:00: Break
      • 3:00 – 4:45: Member presentations
      • 5:00 – 6:00: Break
      • 6:00 – 7:00: Reception at Piccadilly Inn (sponsored by the Arne Nixon Center Associates). There will be ample and substantial-enough appetizers (a roasted pig on a spit?) to serve as dinner, so we’ve made no provisions for a sit-down meal).
      • ca. 7:00 – 8:00 Keynote speech by Michael Cart

      Sunday:

      • 9:00: Gather in Library; refreshments (again provided by the endlessly bountiful Center).
      • 9:15 – 12. This is a bit nebulous at the moment. I’ll be speaking at the Unitarian Universalist Church in Fresno during its 10:30 – 11:30 service and everyone is welcome to attend. The library will be open to those who choose not to. We can have more presentations during the morning or people may wish to spend time looking more closely at the Walter memorabilia and/or the Center’s other collections. Any suggestions you might have for other diversions would be welcome (perhaps a tour of the University’s vineyards and oenological operations?)
      • Noon: Godspeeds and travel safelys

      The Hotel

      Attendees will stay at the Piccadilly Inn University, which is located across the street from the campus. The Inn will charge $79.00 per room per night (plus 12% occupancy tax). IÕm told this special rate applies to any number of guests in a room; i.e., a family that can squeeze into one room will pay only $79/night (rollaways are available). Guests must ask for 2011 Friends of Freddy Convention to receive this special rate. For Reservations please call: (800) HOTEL-US (468-3587) / (559) 224-4200. Reservations must be made by 3/10/10. The Inn is located within easy walking distance of the University.