Re: [mythsoc] Earthsea Movie

  • mem@rialto.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 16, 2011
      David,
      I won't debate "good" with you, and the story is certainly not LeGuin's - but it is lushly visually beautiful and worth watching just for that.
      Mem Morman

      David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote :

      > >Just found out that the new TALES FROM EARTHSEA anime from Studio Ghibli came out in the U. S. last week.
      > > The weirdest thing about it for me are the English voice actors Disney chose: Timothy Dalton (ex-James Bond), Cheech Marin (of Cheech & Chong), Willem DaFoe (of too many movies to name), and Mariska Hargitay.
      >
      > If previous efforts are any guide, Disney would do a nice job on translation, voice casting, and dubbing. Too bad the movie itself isn't very good.
      >
      > David Emerson

      ___________________________________
      Sent using PCI Broadband webmail
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 16, 2011
        >David,
        >I won't debate "good" with you, and the story is certainly not LeGuin's - but it is lushly visually beautiful and worth watching just for that.
        >Mem Morman

        Maybe if you've never seen a Studio Ghibli film before. But compared to "Howl's Moving Castle" or "Spirited Away", the backgrounds seemed flat and empty, and the characters not all that well delineated. I was so disappointed because I know they can do *so* much better.

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com