Earthsea Movie

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 15, 2011
      Just found out that the new TALES FROM EARTHSEA anime from Studio Ghibli came out in the U. S. last week.
      The weirdest thing about it for me are the English voice actors Disney chose: Timothy Dalton (ex-James Bond), Cheech Marin (of Cheech & Chong), Willem DaFoe (of too many movies to name), and Mariska Hargitay.

      --JDR
    • Paola Castagno
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 16, 2011
        I saw the movie long ago. And aside from the title, has little to do with U. K. Le Guin's Earthsea. You can read the opinion of the author in her own web:

        Regards,

        Paola

        On 16 March 2011 05:16, John Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

        Just found out that the new TALES FROM EARTHSEA anime from Studio Ghibli came out in the U. S. last week.
        The weirdest thing about it for me are the English voice actors Disney chose: Timothy Dalton (ex-James Bond), Cheech Marin (of Cheech & Chong), Willem DaFoe (of too many movies to name), and Mariska Hargitay.

        --JDR

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 16, 2011
          >Just found out that the new TALES FROM EARTHSEA anime from Studio Ghibli came out in the U. S. last week.
          > The weirdest thing about it for me are the English voice actors Disney chose: Timothy Dalton (ex-James Bond), Cheech Marin (of Cheech & Chong), Willem DaFoe (of too many movies to name), and Mariska Hargitay.

          If previous efforts are any guide, Disney would do a nice job on translation, voice casting, and dubbing. Too bad the movie itself isn't very good.

          David Emerson

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • mem@rialto.org
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 16, 2011
            David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote :

            > >Just found out that the new TALES FROM EARTHSEA anime from Studio Ghibli came out in the U. S. last week.
            > > The weirdest thing about it for me are the English voice actors Disney chose: Timothy Dalton (ex-James Bond), Cheech Marin (of Cheech & Chong), Willem DaFoe (of too many movies to name), and Mariska Hargitay.
            >
            > If previous efforts are any guide, Disney would do a nice job on translation, voice casting, and dubbing. Too bad the movie itself isn't very good.
            >
            > David Emerson

            > PeoplePC Online
            > A better way to Internet
            > http://www.peoplepc.com

            ___________________________________
            Sent using PCI Broadband webmail
          • mem@rialto.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 16, 2011
              David,
              I won't debate "good" with you, and the story is certainly not LeGuin's - but it is lushly visually beautiful and worth watching just for that.
              Mem Morman

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 16, 2011
                >David,
                >I won't debate "good" with you, and the story is certainly not LeGuin's - but it is lushly visually beautiful and worth watching just for that.
                >Mem Morman

                Maybe if you've never seen a Studio Ghibli film before. But compared to "Howl's Moving Castle" or "Spirited Away", the backgrounds seemed flat and empty, and the characters not all that well delineated. I was so disappointed because I know they can do *so* much better.

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com