Tales from the Perilous Realm

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2011
      I'm sorry, but this publisher's (or vendor's) description demands objection:

      Repeating "definitive" for edition with new illustrations by Alan Lee in place of the Tolkien-approved Baynes work, and some of Tolkien's own (for _Roverandom_) is almost offensive. Whether you like Lee's work or not (and I mostly think it's fine, if boring)--and I'll probably have to buy this--in fact, I'm sort of curious about illustrations to "Leaf by Niggle,"--the definitive illustrations are by Pauline Baynes.

      The description (from Amazon) doesn't really address other reasons that these may be "definitive:: is this a more authoritative text?

      > The definitive collection of Tolkien’s classic “fairie” tales, in the vein of The Hobbit, illustrated by Oscar winner Alan Lee
      >
      > Never before published in a single volume, Tolkien’s four novellas (Farmer Giles of Ham, Leaf by Niggle, Smith of Wootton Major, and Roverandom) and one book of poems (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil) are gathered together for the first time, in a fully illustrated volume. This new, definitive collection of works -- which had appeared separately, in various formats, between 1949 and 1998 -- comes with a brand-new foreword and endmatter, and with a series of detailed pencil illustrations by Alan Lee, in the style of his other award-winning Tolkien work, most recently in The Children of Húrin.

      David Lenander
      d-lena@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113

      651-292-8887
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2011
        My review agrees with yours :) It's in Mythprint with a shorter version on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/review/RIRVH4RXLVQEZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#RIRVH4RXLVQEZ. I find Lee's stuff too dull -- no personality. The Tom Shippey foreword is worthwhile, but not worth buying a whole book for. In my forthcoming bibliography on Tolkien for Collection Building, I recommend the Tolkien Reader over Tales from the Perilous Realm.

        Janet Brennan Croft

        I'm sorry, but this publisher's (or vendor's) description demands objection:

        Repeating "definitive" for edition with new illustrations by Alan Lee in place of the Tolkien-approved Baynes work, and some of Tolkien's own (for _Roverandom_) is almost offensive. Whether you like Lee's work or not (and I mostly think it's fine, if boring)--and I'll probably have to buy this--in fact, I'm sort of curious about illustrations to "Leaf by Niggle,"--the definitive illustrations are by Pauline Baynes.

        The description (from Amazon) doesn't really address other reasons that these may be "definitive:: is this a more authoritative text?

        > The definitive collection of Tolkien's classic "fairie" tales, in the vein of The Hobbit, illustrated by Oscar winner Alan Lee
        >
        > Never before published in a single volume, Tolkien's four novellas (Farmer Giles of Ham, Leaf by Niggle, Smith of Wootton Major, and Roverandom) and one book of poems (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil) are gathered together for the first time, in a fully illustrated volume. This new, definitive collection of works -- which had appeared separately, in various formats, between 1949 and 1998 -- comes with a brand-new foreword and endmatter, and with a series of detailed pencil illustrations by Alan Lee, in the style of his other award-winning Tolkien work, most recently in The Children of Húrin.

        David Lenander
        d-lena@...
        2095 Hamline Ave. N.
        Roseville, MN 55113

        651-292-8887

      • Doug Kane
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2011
          I'm a big fan of Lee's work in other places (particularly the pencil sketches in CoH), but these just don't work.  Or rather, they pale in comparison to Pauline Baynes definitive illustrations.

          Sent: Monday, March 07, 2011 9:01 AM
          Subject: RE: [mythsoc] Tales from the Perilous Realm

          My review agrees with yours :) It's in Mythprint with a shorter version on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/review/RIRVH4RXLVQEZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#RIRVH4RXLVQEZ. I find Lee's stuff too dull -- no personality. The Tom Shippey foreword is worthwhile, but not worth buying a whole book for. In my forthcoming bibliography on Tolkien for Collection Building, I recommend the Tolkien Reader over Tales from the Perilous Realm.

          Janet Brennan Croft

          I'm sorry, but this publisher's (or vendor's) description demands objection:

          Repeating "definitive" for edition with new illustrations by Alan Lee in place of the Tolkien-approved Baynes work, and some of Tolkien's own (for _Roverandom_) is almost offensive. Whether you like Lee's work or not (and I mostly think it's fine, if boring)--and I'll probably have to buy this--in fact, I'm sort of curious about illustrations to "Leaf by Niggle,"--the definitive illustrations are by Pauline Baynes.

          The description (from Amazon) doesn't really address other reasons that these may be "definitive:: is this a more authoritative text?

          > The definitive
          collection of Tolkien's classic "fairie" tales, in the vein of The Hobbit, illustrated by Oscar winner Alan Lee

          > Never before published in
          a single volume, Tolkien's four novellas (Farmer Giles of Ham, Leaf by Niggle, Smith of Wootton Major, and Roverandom) and one book of poems (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil) are gathered together for the first time, in a fully illustrated volume. This new, definitive collection of works -- which had appeared separately, in various formats, between 1949 and 1998 -- comes with a brand-new foreword and endmatter, and with a series of detailed pencil illustrations by Alan Lee, in the style of his other award-winning Tolkien work, most recently in The Children of Húrin.

          David Lenander
          d-lena@...
          2095 Hamline Ave. N.
          Roseville, MN 55113

          651-292-8887

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2011
            But David, this is marketing language! You can't actually expect them to know what it means or to actually MEAN what it means, can you?

            Ah, let us hold their feet to the fire! If not us, who? If not now, when? (I know, I dream).

            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Lenander <d-lena@...> wrote:

            > I'm sorry, but this publisher's (or vendor's) description demands objection:
            >
            > Repeating "definitive" for edition with new illustrations by Alan Lee in place of the Tolkien-approved Baynes work, and some of Tolkien's own (for _Roverandom_) is almost offensive. Whether you like Lee's work or not (and I mostly think it's fine, if boring)--and I'll probably have to buy this--in fact, I'm sort of curious about illustrations to "Leaf by Niggle,"--the definitive illustrations are by Pauline Baynes.
            >
            > The description (from Amazon) doesn't really address other reasons that these may be "definitive:: is this a more authoritative text?
            >

            > > The definitive collection of Tolkien's classic "fairie" tales, in the vein of The Hobbit, illustrated by Oscar winner Alan Lee
            > >
            > > Never before published in a single volume, Tolkien's four novellas (Farmer Giles of Ham, Leaf by Niggle, Smith of Wootton Major, and Roverandom) and one book of poems (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil) are gathered together for the first time, in a fully illustrated volume. This new, definitive collection of works -- which had appeared separately, in various formats, between 1949 and 1998 -- comes with a brand-new foreword and endmatter, and with a series of detailed pencil illustrations by Alan Lee, in the style of his other award-winning Tolkien work, most recently in The Children of Húrin.
            >

            > David Lenander
            > d-lena@...
            > 2095 Hamline Ave. N.
            > Roseville, MN 55113
            >
            > 651-292-8887
            > http://www.umn.edu/~d-lena/RIVENDELL.html

          • John Rateliff
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7, 2011
              I love Baynes' illustrations for FARMER GILES but won't miss her too-precious flower-fairy art for SMITH or BOMBADIL.

              Lee's pieces seem hit or miss -- there are a few great ones and some that don't do much for me. It's odd how for most of these works he has some art at the beginning and again at the end but none inside the component pieces -- the exception being ATB, where there's at least one illo per poem (& more often two, a headpiece and a tailpiece). Replacing Tolkien's own art for ROVERANDOM is a bigger issue for me than replacing Baynes' for the other books -- but the rationale behind it is no different than Lee's HOBBIT or LotR or SIlm; if those were valid projects, so too is this.

              I've only skimmed the Shippey introduction, but I'd give it a thumbs up over Beagle's essay any day.

              It's nice to see ROVERANDOM get more circulation, but I don't think it goes particularly well with the other items in the collection, and I'm sorry to see HOMECOMING has been cut. In general I think all these pieces work better as individual little books rather than as an omnibus, and I'll keep re-reading my old copies.

              So, not definitive, but a handy collection for those who want somewhere to go after HOBBIT & LotR. The latest in a long line,* of which THE TOLKIEN READER is still my favorite -- but I may just be dating myself here.

              --John R.

              *(like POEMS & STORIES, which was TOLKIEN READER plus SWM sans Beagle, or A TOLKIEN MISCELLANY, which left out HOMECOMING but added the GAWAIN translations)