Re: [mythsoc] Cory Doctorow and Tolkien estate

  • Jeremy Edmonds
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2011
      Found this Boing Boing article about a Viacom issue as well.

      To summarize, Zazzle took down some T-Shirts that were referencing an upcoming Viacom animated movie (shirts did not name movie, but one design did mention a character by name).  The Zazzle takedown notice did say they were removed because of Intellectual Propery violations.  Viacom followed up, said they had no problem with the shirts, and asked Zazzle to put them back up.

      So Zazzle is definitely taking matters (over agressively) into their own hands in at least some cases.  I would definitely bet that the Tolkien Estate had nothing to do with the "button takedown fiasco".

      Jeremy

      On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...> wrote:

      Croft, Janet B. writes:
      >Interesting. So the button is a quote from Madeline Ashby and says
      >"While you were reading Tolkien, I was reading Evangelion." First, I
      >don't think there's really a good case to be made for taking that down
      >- it's not infringing on Tolkien's intellectual property.

      Actually, I think in this case it's no the Tolkien estate that is the
      problem (though their watchdogs -might- have been involved). It looks
      like Zazzle is restricting their merch to stuff that has -no-
      commerical references at all and claiming it as "intellectual
      property" when, in fact, it's nothing of the sort.

      Zazzle has rejected:

      Tolkien vs Evangellion (as in thread)
      "Colbert is God": http://www.flickr.com/photos/pip_r_lagenta/3328737287/
      An image of a vw beetle: http://204eastsouth.com/skippy/2010/08/zazzle-fail/
      A shirt mentioning Aang (from the Last Airbender): http://glockgal.livejournal.com/404245.html

      And so on.

      --
      Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the tera- |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
      --^--port patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'