RE: [mythsoc] Re: Lawsuit in Texas

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 24, 2011

      I approached HarperCollins with the book proposal (before looking into permissions) and they took it to the Estate for approval; I got the impression they meet periodically to review proposals like this. I wanted to print the entire play and essay with annotations, the Maldon fragment for comparison, critical commentary and some previously published essays by scholars, annotated bibliographies on scholarship on “Homecoming” and Maldon, and maybe a few other things. (Since my proposal, there was that excellent article in TS about the original manuscript – that’s an example of one I’d like to include.) I also wanted to produce the play and include notes on the production and any other productions I can locate; I’ve long wanted to do a double bill of “Homecoming” with Christopher Fry’s “A Sleep of Prisoners.” It IS a play, after all, and seeing how it works on stage is part of understanding it.

      Jason, I could consider just doing all this without reproducing the text – that might work. Good idea!

      I’m not really sure WHO has the rights to the audio recording. I’ve never been able to obtain a copy. Probably the estate. I’d love to hear it in order to know how Tolkien pronounced the names.

      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 4, 2011
        You are excused, sir.  I’ve hoped to see Michael Drout’s edition for about ten years now.  I imagine Michael has, too.
        Is there any progress on an edition of J.R.R. Tolkien’s poetry with commentary?  Such a thing has been spoken of since Peter Jackson was a sunspot on the far horizon.