Re: [mythsoc] Re: Lawsuit in Texas

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 23, 2011
      Contracts, actually.  There were two separate contracts entered into with United Artists, one with George Allen & Unwin, Ltd., which covered The Hobbit and The Two Towers, and the other with "Sassoon Executor and Trustee Corporation, Ltd." (and entity which represented Tolkien), covering The Fellowship of the Ring and The Return of the King.  Why it is that there had to be two agreements split in this way is still not entirely clear to me.  And yes, while they are extraordinarily long and complicated contracts with many reservations of rights retained by the sellers (the two contracts together, including attachments, are about 125 pages), they sold the film rights outright.  As oppose to the equally complicated license agreements that Saul Zaentz entered into with Miramax (which later was transferred to New Line).

      Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:44 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: Lawsuit in Texas

      Yes, Merlin (hi!), that's true - I've never seen the contract but I understand that's the case. Nonetheless, the sale of rights was an outright sale rather than an option; that was my point.

      -- Lynn --

      wrote:
      > > Here's my problem with that, Wendell: JRRT *himself* sold
      the film rights during his lifetime. He enjoyed the money he made from the sale. YES, it's a pity that happened before "options" came in (rather than outright sales) because then JRRT or his estate could have sold the opportunity to make a film based on the book over and over again.
      > >[...]
      > > BUT
      the estate has sued and reached a settlement with New Line/Jackson/whoever it was they sued, so I'm confused by your later post which indicates it would be hard to sue the filmmakers so the estate sues little people instead...?

      > The
      > A point of clarification: Tolkien's deal (perhaps
      ahead of its time?) did in fact call for him to receive a percentage of the box office income in addition to the original sum paid for the rights. That the studio failed to pay this percentage was the cause for the Tolkien Estate's recent lawsuit.

      > -Merlin

      No virus found in this message.

    • Mike Foster
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 4, 2011
        Doug,
        You are excused, sir.  I’ve hoped to see Michael Drout’s edition for about ten years now.  I imagine Michael has, too.

        Is there any progress on an edition of J.R.R. Tolkien’s poetry with commentary?  Such a thing has been spoken of since Peter Jackson was a sunspot on the far horizon.

        Mike