Re: [mythsoc] Mythies with E-readers

  • Lisa Harrigan
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 23, 2011
      I have an e-reader on my Palm PDA. The screen is almost big enough, and
      since it is always with me, it means that I always have a few books in
      my purse without taking up additional space. Readability is sometimes a
      bit wobbly, but I can enlarge the print to where these older eyes can
      see clear enough to not die of eye strain. Page turnings are more
      frequent, but that is easy with the touch sensitive screen. And books
      with footnotes are much easier to deal with, as the footnote is just a
      screen touch away. Still I can't read it in Bright Light, so I won't be
      using it at the pool any time soon.
      I bought The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings specifically so that I
      could have copies with me whenever I wanted them, and being able to
      search electronically was also a useful function. A Paper Index at the
      back of a book is nice, but direct search is some times more useful. YMMV
      Current plans are to buy a Samsung Galaxy (android) phone soon, and drop
      a reader with my books onto it. The screen is about the same size but
      with an even better resolution, so readability should improve.
      I would love to buy a Color Nook, as many of my favorite magazines
      (Science News, Scientific American, Astronomy) come with lovely color
      pictures and graphs, but I don't necessarily need to have the paper
      copies of the magazines. But I may just end up buying a Color Tablet
      with reader capabilities to avoid 1 trick ponies filling up my purse.
      That is a debate for when the pocketbook recovers from New Phone Purchase.
      Lisa
    • Lisa Harrigan