Re: Lawsuit in Texas

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 23, 2011
      Yes, Merlin (hi!), that's true - I've never seen the contract but I understand that's the case. Nonetheless, the sale of rights was an outright sale rather than an option; that was my point.

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "not_thou" <emptyD@...> wrote:

      > ---"lynnmaudlin" <lynnmaudlin@> wrote:
      > > Here's my problem with that, Wendell: JRRT *himself* sold the film rights during his lifetime. He enjoyed the money he made from the sale. YES, it's a pity that happened before "options" came in (rather than outright sales) because then JRRT or his estate could have sold the opportunity to make a film based on the book over and over again.
      > >[...]
      > > BUT the estate has sued and reached a settlement with New Line/Jackson/whoever it was they sued, so I'm confused by your later post which indicates it would be hard to sue the filmmakers so the estate sues little people instead...?
      >

      > A point of clarification: Tolkien's deal (perhaps ahead of its time?) did in fact call for him to receive a percentage of the box office income in addition to the original sum paid for the rights. That the studio failed to pay this percentage was the cause for the Tolkien Estate's recent lawsuit.
      >
      > -Merlin

    • Mike Foster
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 4, 2011
        Doug,
        You are excused, sir.  I’ve hoped to see Michael Drout’s edition for about ten years now.  I imagine Michael has, too.

        Is there any progress on an edition of J.R.R. Tolkien’s poetry with commentary?  Such a thing has been spoken of since Peter Jackson was a sunspot on the far horizon.

        Mike