Re: Lawsuit in Texas

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 23 12:42 AM
      I think we probably need the kind of legal reform that would mean the loser of the suit would pay the legal costs; we certainly need it in terms of liability suits. But even mounting enough of a defense to bring a suit into court *for the judge to dismiss* can be a daunting sum of money.

      There's no easy solution, imho. Just reality.

      -- Lynn --

      > Lynn,
      >
      > > Jason, when you say, "maybe their reach sometimes exceeds their grasp
      > > in the prosecution of their legal rights, but that's for the courts to
      > decide,"
      > > you forget that it costs money to defend a suit *even if it's spurious*.
      > > Thus the estate can shut down worthy projects simply by the threat of
      > > legal action.
      >
      > I do not forget it, but this is just the reality of our legal system. You are
      > quite right that the system is prone to abuse. It is sadly true that the party
      > with the deepest pockets often prevails. But surely you don't suggest that our
      > system should not permit a lawsuit simply because the defendant can't afford the
      > same legal representation as the plaintiff? That would be just as wrong. If a
      > suit is genuinely spurious, then a judge should throw it out before it ever
      > reaches the stage of litigation.
      >
      > Jase

    • Mike Foster
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 4, 2011
        Doug,
        You are excused, sir.  I’ve hoped to see Michael Drout’s edition for about ten years now.  I imagine Michael has, too.

        Is there any progress on an edition of J.R.R. Tolkien’s poetry with commentary?  Such a thing has been spoken of since Peter Jackson was a sunspot on the far horizon.

        Mike