Far Westfarthing smial pubmoot?

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 22, 2011
      On 2/22/2011 1:54 PM, Mike Foster wrote:

      > Besides the almanac, simply going through the New York newspapers for
      > the time-frame of the story’s setting would have been a basic research
      > essential.
      > As to JRRT travelling to the USA in 1970, very loud chuckles. Anyone’s
      > who read Tolkien’s correspondence with Marquette regarding the U’s
      > efforts to get him to visit Milwaukee in 1958 knows that the mere
      > premise that Tolkien would fly to Noo Yawk torpedoes willing suspension
      > of disbelief.
      > Six words, seven words: when it’s as bad as that sample David quoted,
      > the counter goes off.
      > Maybe the Stewards should consider The Drinking Fountain Of Khazad-dum,
      > wherein participants would read the worst line they came across this year.
      > Back to /Phantastes/ for Far Westfarthing smial pubmoot on Friday.
      > Re-reading it for the first time in 40 years, I find myself more attuned
      > to Tolkien’s view of MacDonald than CSL’s. But as a nap-inducer on a
      > cold Midwestern afternoon, it’s hard to top.
      > Cheers,
      > Mike

      Mike:

      Does the Far Westfarthing smial meet regularly? Or is this Friday (if
      that is correct) a special event? Peoria area?

      "Drowned in the Drinking Fountain of Khazad-dum" sounds like an
      interesting if uncomplimentary epitaph, whether you consider it seven
      words or eight [grin].

      Darrell
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 22, 2011