Re: [mythsoc] Re: Lawsuit in Texas

    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 22, 2011
      In a message dated 2/22/2011 1:05:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, sacnoth@... writes:
      (1) The Estate got a substantial amount from the Peter Jackson movies, as shown by the many news stories detailing their attempts to collect the rest of the money they were owed by the studios.

      How much did they get?  $1, $10, $100, $1000, $10,000, $1000,000, $1,000,000, $10,000,000, $100,000,000, $1,000,000,000?  If you can't even say within a factor of 10 how much it was, I don't consider that any of us actually have any real knowledge of this "substantial amount."

      (4) Don't be misled by the squeaky wheel syndrome: there are many acts of generosity in the granting of permissions that don't get much attention, while the times when they say "NO" tend to get a lot of attention.

      Give me some examples of these many acts of generosity in the granting of permissions.  If you can't give me at least as many examples of these acts as there are of them suing people for supposedly violating the copyright and/or trademark, I don't agree that there have been "many acts."

      Wendell Wagner
    • Mike Foster
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 4, 2011
        Doug,
        You are excused, sir.  I’ve hoped to see Michael Drout’s edition for about ten years now.  I imagine Michael has, too.

        Is there any progress on an edition of J.R.R. Tolkien’s poetry with commentary?  Such a thing has been spoken of since Peter Jackson was a sunspot on the far horizon.

        Mike