Re: [mythsoc] Mythies with E-readers

  • Bill West
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 17 8:41 AM
      I bought a Kobo since I am a Borders employee and wanted to know what I was talking about when I sold it. I also had to downsize my book collection due to health problems and a move into
      Senior Housing. I kept most of my fantasy and sf collection, and some of my history books with
      the hopes I'd be able to replace them with ereader editions.

      The problem was that many of the books I want to replace were published by college
      or university presses. So far most of them are either not digitized or the ebook prices are
      higher than what I paid for the print editions twenty years ago. On the other hand I have found
      many inexpensive or free editions of books I hadn't owned before, such as works by Macaulay,
      and Caryle.

      I haven't downloaded much fantasy as yet outside of some of Andrew Lang's "Fairy" books
      and recently I purchased McKillip's "Bards of Bone Plain". While the latter is still wonderful
      to read, it doesn't feel the same to be reading it off the screen instead of the printed page.
      Strangely enough, I don't have that same sensation reading the nonfiction books.

      Bill West

      On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

      Berni, I would welcome this. Would you like to collate together the short comments and paragraphs offered so far into a single cogent piece? I'm afraid I lack the time for it just at the moment, but since it was your idea ...? :)

      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 23 3:05 AM
        I have an e-reader on my Palm PDA. The screen is almost big enough, and
        since it is always with me, it means that I always have a few books in
        my purse without taking up additional space. Readability is sometimes a
        bit wobbly, but I can enlarge the print to where these older eyes can
        see clear enough to not die of eye strain. Page turnings are more
        frequent, but that is easy with the touch sensitive screen. And books
        with footnotes are much easier to deal with, as the footnote is just a
        screen touch away. Still I can't read it in Bright Light, so I won't be
        using it at the pool any time soon.
        I bought The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings specifically so that I
        could have copies with me whenever I wanted them, and being able to
        search electronically was also a useful function. A Paper Index at the
        back of a book is nice, but direct search is some times more useful. YMMV
        Current plans are to buy a Samsung Galaxy (android) phone soon, and drop
        a reader with my books onto it. The screen is about the same size but
        with an even better resolution, so readability should improve.
        I would love to buy a Color Nook, as many of my favorite magazines
        (Science News, Scientific American, Astronomy) come with lovely color
        pictures and graphs, but I don't necessarily need to have the paper
        copies of the magazines. But I may just end up buying a Color Tablet
        with reader capabilities to avoid 1 trick ponies filling up my purse.
        That is a debate for when the pocketbook recovers from New Phone Purchase.
        Lisa