Re: Mythies with E-readers

  • Walter Padgett
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 16, 2011
      Yes.  I have a comment.

      I loved Mobipocket Reader, and used it daily to read books and articles on my Compaq Ipaq Pocket PC and then later on my Windows Mobile phone (HTC Touch Diamond).  The screen on that phone is quite small, but somehow I used to read ebooks more often using that tiny interface than I've read since upgrading to a device with a much larger screen.

      I now have an Android phone, and miss using Mobipocket Reader, as it is not available for the Android platform. There is some discussion around the net speculating that Amazon bought Mobipocket so it could kill it and replace it with the Kindle platform.  Ebooks in the Mobipocket format can be converted to other formats that are compatible with Kindle and other readers, such as FB Reader or Aldiko Book Reader, that are available as apps for Android, but none of them that I have found have an onboard dictionary.

      Surprisingly, due to this lack of an onboard dictionary, my reading habits have changed since I switched to Android.  Now I read more online content, because it is much more accessible while mobile than it ever was to me before.  But I really miss the speed of Mobipocket's onboard dictionary and thesaurus, which I haven't been able to find in any Android compatible reader.

      I can still look up words as I'm reading with other readers, such as Kindle Reader for Android, but I have to wait for the software to locate a definition on the internet, usually at dictionary.com, and waiting for that definition to pop up ruins the whole reading experience I'd become conditioned to enjoy.  With my Oxford dictionary and thesaurus onboard the Mobipocket reader on my Windows Mobile device, I could just highlight a word and immediately select an option to "lookup" the word.  It took less than a quarter of a second to marvel at learning a new word and move on.  Now I am missing that functionality.

      I wonder if anyone can recommend an ebook reader that works on Android that can restore this speedy auto-lookup function for me.  Anyone?
    • Lisa Harrigan
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 23, 2011
        I have an e-reader on my Palm PDA. The screen is almost big enough, and
        since it is always with me, it means that I always have a few books in
        my purse without taking up additional space. Readability is sometimes a
        bit wobbly, but I can enlarge the print to where these older eyes can
        see clear enough to not die of eye strain. Page turnings are more
        frequent, but that is easy with the touch sensitive screen. And books
        with footnotes are much easier to deal with, as the footnote is just a
        screen touch away. Still I can't read it in Bright Light, so I won't be
        using it at the pool any time soon.
        I bought The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings specifically so that I
        could have copies with me whenever I wanted them, and being able to
        search electronically was also a useful function. A Paper Index at the
        back of a book is nice, but direct search is some times more useful. YMMV
        Current plans are to buy a Samsung Galaxy (android) phone soon, and drop
        a reader with my books onto it. The screen is about the same size but
        with an even better resolution, so readability should improve.
        I would love to buy a Color Nook, as many of my favorite magazines
        (Science News, Scientific American, Astronomy) come with lovely color
        pictures and graphs, but I don't necessarily need to have the paper
        copies of the magazines. But I may just end up buying a Color Tablet
        with reader capabilities to avoid 1 trick ponies filling up my purse.
        That is a debate for when the pocketbook recovers from New Phone Purchase.
        Lisa