A question about the OED (1879/1883)

  • ferretolk
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2011
      Good morning to all,

      I have a question about the New English Dictionary on Historical Principles (i.e. the OED). According to Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's Reader's Guide, p. 725, the first fascicle (A-Ant) was published in 1879, while Gilliver, Marshall & Weiner  (The Ring of Words) mention 1884. Does anyone know where I could find a confirmation of the exact date ?

      thanks in advance,
      best wishes,

      Vincent Ferré

      Université Paris XIII
      Département Littérature
      Littérature générale et comparée
    • ferretolk
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2011
        Well, Vivien Stocker has just replied and pointed this URL : http://www.oed.com/public/oedhistory
        Apparently, it is 1884.

        best wishes,
        Vincent

      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2011
          Well, Vivien Stocker has just replied and pointed this URL : http://www.oed.com/public/oedhistory
          Apparently, it is 1884.

          We'll make a correction in the next round of addenda and corrigenda. 1879 is when Murray and OUP became involved in the dictionary project.

          Wayne & Christina