Just Wondering

  • Bill West
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2011
      Hello all,
      Has anyone heard of this Russian "reworking" of the trilogy before?
      http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/fan-translates-139000-word-russian-rewrite-of-the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy_b22584

      Bill West
    • Andrew Higgins
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2011
        Bill yes when was in Lisbon several years ago I came across Yeskov's retelling as O Ultima Anel (The Last Ringbearer) and then later ordered the book in Russian which I am working through slowly. It's an interesting story that takes place after the War Of the Ring and takes the point of view that the victors write the history. Apparently there is also another called The Black Book of Arda which tells the Silmarillion from Melkor/morgoths point of view.

        Don't ask me how this got through The Tolkien Estate!

        Best Andy

        Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Twitter
        And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/

        On 3 Feb 2011, at 17:28, Bill West <billwest48@...> wrote:

        Hello all,
        Has anyone heard of this Russian "reworking" of the trilogy before?
        http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/fan-translates-139000-word-russian-rewrite-of-the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy_b22584

        Bill West

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2011
          I daresay it didn't; Russia doesn't generally respect copyright law; certainly not back in the USSR/CCCP days.

          -- Lynn --