Re: [mythsoc] Re: Hello All

  • Alana Abbott
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 24, 2011
      I would love to! (And not only because I'd love to make another Mythcon, but because I've always wanted to see the Southwest in person.) Alas, we've weddings to attend this summer, and one can only subject an infant to so much air travel... :)

      -Alana

      On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 5:48 AM, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

      I found the MythSoc *through* Mythcon - I found Mythcon through "Filty Pierre"'s list of upcoming SF cons offered in Analog; after decades of reading Analog I thought, "hmmm, these folks actually get together," and the closest, soonest event was Mythcon 13 in Orange, California. I came, I loved the event, I joined the Society and the rest is a whole lot of fun! ;D

      Come to New Mexico, Alana, if you possibly can--
      -- Lynn --
      __

    • John Rateliff
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 24, 2011
        Did anyone else fail to receive the message from Sherryl to which Wengell was responding?
           --John R.

        On Jan 23, 2011, at 10:01 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:
        To forestall a very long thread, most of the regular posters to this mailing list have been to Mythcon.  Roughly speaking, there is a group of about Mythcon-going 100 Mythopoeic Society members, about half of which occasionally post to this group.  (I don't know if the other half don't belong to the mailing list or if they don't ever post.)  I usually expect at least 50 of that group of 100 or so members to be at any given Mythcon.

        I'm one of those 100 or so people who are at most Mythcons.

        Wendell Wagner

        In a message dated 1/23/2011 12:48:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, SherrytTreeHouse@... writes:
        Who has been to the annual conference?

      • Boldingbroke
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 24, 2011
          Hi,

          I am one of those who lurk, rarely if ever post, am not a member (actually not sure why I haven't signed up...) and yet have attended a few of the MythCons. I saw the message from Sherryl.

          Sharon Bolding

          --
          Sharon L. Bolding, PhD
          Boldingbroke Consulting
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 25, 2011
            ;-)

            I discovered the society through the mention of Mythlore in a discussion thread on usenet (in one of the Tolkien groups).

            Being in Denmark, going to a Mythcon is likely to remain a dream for a long time yet (we've still got four kids living at home, but once they have all left the nest . . . who knows, perhaps . . .)   The UK is a little closer, so I'll be going to the Return of the Ring next year in Loughborough, which I am looking very much forward to ('looking forward' as in a ten-years-old excitedly jumping up and down in the chair asking 'Is it my birthday soon? Is it my birthday soon? Is it my . . .?')

            /Troels

            On 23 January 2011 18:48, Tree Lady <SherrytTreeHouse@...> wrote:
            Thank you, Troels!

            At the risk of starting a new thread (Oh, no!) how did you all discover the Inklings and the Mythopoeic Society? Who has been to the annual conference? (Alas, not me.)

            Under the Mercy,
            SherryT

            --
                Love while you've got
                    love to give.
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 26, 2011
              See you in Loughborough, Troels!  Mythcon is a long way from Devon, too :(

              from Sue

            • lynnmaudlin
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 26, 2011
                Hey! Mythcon was incorporated into the 1992 Tolkien Centenary Conference (which was *glorious* imho) and also the 2005 LotR 50th Anniversary conference in Birmingham... so *sometimes* Mythcons are on the eastern side of the Atlantic ocean!

                Still, I know what you mean - it would be lovely if we could all access transporters and just *be* there....

                -- Lynn --