Re: [mythsoc] Re: Hello All

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 23, 2011
      To forestall a very long thread, most of the regular posters to this mailing list have been to Mythcon.  Roughly speaking, there is a group of about Mythcon-going 100 Mythopoeic Society members, about half of which occasionally post to this group.  (I don't know if the other half don't belong to the mailing list or if they don't ever post.)  I usually expect at least 50 of that group of 100 or so members to be at any given Mythcon.

      I'm one of those 100 or so people who are at most Mythcons.

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 1/23/2011 12:48:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, SherrytTreeHouse@... writes:
      Who has been to the annual conference?
    • Alana Abbott
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 23, 2011
        I'd wager there are also some folks, like me, who have been to a Mythcon but have yet to have the right circumstances allowing a return to another one. :) (I was at the Mythcon in Connecticut in 2008, as it was local to me, but I've not been able to travel to any since!)

        I was told about the Mythopoeic Society when I was in college, taking a course on the Inklings. I promptly forgot about it until years later, when Sherwood Smith mentioned it in comments at my livejournal and I finally joined. I've been ever so glad for the reminder!

        -Alana

        On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 1:01 PM, <WendellWag@...> wrote:

        To forestall a very long thread, most of the regular posters to this mailing list have been to Mythcon.  Roughly speaking, there is a group of about Mythcon-going 100 Mythopoeic Society members, about half of which occasionally post to this group.  (I don't know if the other half don't belong to the mailing list or if they don't ever post.)  I usually expect at least 50 of that group of 100 or so members to be at any given Mythcon.

        I'm one of those 100 or so people who are at most Mythcons.

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 24, 2011
          I found the MythSoc *through* Mythcon - I found Mythcon through "Filty Pierre"'s list of upcoming SF cons offered in Analog; after decades of reading Analog I thought, "hmmm, these folks actually get together," and the closest, soonest event was Mythcon 13 in Orange, California. I came, I loved the event, I joined the Society and the rest is a whole lot of fun! ;D

          Come to New Mexico, Alana, if you possibly can--
          -- Lynn --

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Alana Abbott <alanajoli@...> wrote:

          > I'd wager there are also some folks, like me, who have been to a Mythcon but
          > have yet to have the right circumstances allowing a return to another one.
          > :) (I was at the Mythcon in Connecticut in 2008, as it was local to me, but
          > I've not been able to travel to any since!)
          >
          > I was told about the Mythopoeic Society when I was in college, taking a
          > course on the Inklings. I promptly forgot about it until years later, when
          > Sherwood Smith mentioned it in comments at my livejournal and I finally
          > joined. I've been ever so glad for the reminder!
          >
          > -Alana
          >
          > On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 1:01 PM, <WendellWag@...> wrote:
          >

          > > To forestall a very long thread, most of the regular posters to this
          > > mailing list have been to Mythcon. Roughly speaking, there is a group of
          > > about Mythcon-going 100 Mythopoeic Society members, about half of which
          > > occasionally post to this group. (I don't know if the other half don't
          > > belong to the mailing list or if they don't ever post.) I usually expect at
          > > least 50 of that group of 100 or so members to be at any given Mythcon.
          > >
          > > I'm one of those 100 or so people who are at most Mythcons.
          > >
          > > Wendell Wagner
          > >

          > --
          > Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
          > http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
          > Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets,"
          > http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets
          > Contributor to Origins Award winner, Serenity Adventures:
          > http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
          > --

        • Alana Abbott
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 24, 2011
            I would love to! (And not only because I'd love to make another Mythcon, but because I've always wanted to see the Southwest in person.) Alas, we've weddings to attend this summer, and one can only subject an infant to so much air travel... :)

            -Alana

            On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 5:48 AM, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

            I found the MythSoc *through* Mythcon - I found Mythcon through "Filty Pierre"'s list of upcoming SF cons offered in Analog; after decades of reading Analog I thought, "hmmm, these folks actually get together," and the closest, soonest event was Mythcon 13 in Orange, California. I came, I loved the event, I joined the Society and the rest is a whole lot of fun! ;D

            Come to New Mexico, Alana, if you possibly can--
            -- Lynn --
            __

          • John Rateliff

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 24, 2011
                Hi,

                I am one of those who lurk, rarely if ever post, am not a member (actually not sure why I haven't signed up...) and yet have attended a few of the MythCons. I saw the message from Sherryl.

                Sharon Bolding

                On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM, John Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

[...]

                Sharon L. Bolding, PhD
                Boldingbroke Consulting
                boldingbroke@...
                Skype: Boldingbroke
                206.334.5155
              • Troels Forchhammer
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 25, 2011
                  ;-)

                  I discovered the society through the mention of Mythlore in a discussion thread on usenet (in one of the Tolkien groups).

                  Being in Denmark, going to a Mythcon is likely to remain a dream for a long time yet (we've still got four kids living at home, but once they have all left the nest . . . who knows, perhaps . . .)   The UK is a little closer, so I'll be going to the Return of the Ring next year in Loughborough, which I am looking very much forward to ('looking forward' as in a ten-years-old excitedly jumping up and down in the chair asking 'Is it my birthday soon? Is it my birthday soon? Is it my . . .?')

                  /Troels

                  On 23 January 2011 18:48, Tree Lady <SherrytTreeHouse@...> wrote:
                  Thank you, Troels!

                  At the risk of starting a new thread (Oh, no!) how did you all discover the Inklings and the Mythopoeic Society? Who has been to the annual conference? (Alas, not me.)

                  Under the Mercy,
                  SherryT

                  --
                      Love while you've got
                          love to give.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 26, 2011
                    See you in Loughborough, Troels!  Mythcon is a long way from Devon, too :(

                    from Sue

                  • lynnmaudlin
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 26, 2011
                      Hey! Mythcon was incorporated into the 1992 Tolkien Centenary Conference (which was *glorious* imho) and also the 2005 LotR 50th Anniversary conference in Birmingham... so *sometimes* Mythcons are on the eastern side of the Atlantic ocean!

                      Still, I know what you mean - it would be lovely if we could all access transporters and just *be* there....

                      -- Lynn --