Re: Voyage of the Dawn Treader Movie?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2011
      As a kids movie it is fine. The FX are better than in the two previous.

      They worked very hard to remove any chance that someone might be directed to Jesus Christ, as well as changing the basic morality from that of Christianity to that of Carl Rogers. Imagine if you went to a movie about the Nativity, and found out that it was about the wonderful birth of -you-.

      Aslan is portrayed as a powerful big buddy, a tame lion, not the Son of the Emperor over Sea from Before Time, Who is the Lamb Who is the Lion. And Susan is shown to have made the right choice.

      It is NOT the book by C. S. Lewis.

      I can't imagine how they could do _The Last Battle_, for this is the Tashlan.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, davise@... wrote:

      > Has no one on this list seen the movie yet, or have an opinion? I haven't myself, but I'm very curious to know whether it is any good. The review in the Times was solidly negative, the review in the Guardian was mixed, some of the online reviews are favorable. General agreement that Eustace is satisfyingly horrible.
      >
      > -- Ernie

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2011
        Would someone be willing to do a review for Mythprint? 600-700 words or so should suffice.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2011
          I thought it was a nice diversion. As fantasy film, it is well made and entertaining. As Christian fantasy film, it is better than much of what is out there. As Narnian adaptation, it takes some necessary changes with the story (this is the most episodic of the novels, and it tries to streamline things into one narrative), but the casting is good and the effects are well done. I agree the sea serpent section took too long, but this is better in terms of tone than the Caspian film, and it does not feel quite so driven by battles. One error the films have shown thus far is an effort to be more epic than intimate, and I think this film makes a good faith effort to create a smaller story, in keeping with the original novel.

          Hugh Davis

          As a kids movie it is fine. The FX are better than in the two previous.

          They worked very hard to remove any chance that someone might be directed to Jesus Christ, as well as changing the basic morality from that of Christianity to that of Carl Rogers. Imagine if you went to a movie about the Nativity, and found out that it was about the wonderful birth of -you-.

          Aslan is portrayed as a powerful big buddy, a tame lion, not the Son of the Emperor over Sea from Before Time, Who is the Lamb Who is the Lion. And Susan is shown to have made the right choice.

          It is NOT the book by C. S. Lewis.

          I can't imagine how they could do _The Last Battle_, for this is the Tashlan.

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, davise@... wrote:

          > Has no one on this list seen the movie yet, or have an opinion? I haven't myself, but I'm very curious to know whether it is any good. The review in the Times was solidly negative, the review in the Guardian was mixed, some of the online reviews are favorable. General agreement that Eustace is satisfyingly horrible.
          >
          > -- Ernie

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2011
            There's been some discussion among Mythies on Facebook. Personally, I've been on a roller coaster about this movie: 1) Dawntreader is on of my favorite Narnia books, in part because it's inherently so spiritual; 2) Walden Media has alternated between ham-fisted and oblivious when it comes to spiritual content in CSL's Narnia; 3) Michael Apted is a good film director and made the passage of anti-slavery laws in England compelling in AMAZING GRACE; 4) Michael Apted isn't a Christian so he may be insensitive *but* he handled AMAZING GRACE well; 5) the trailer was alarming.

            So I went with great trepidation and VERY low expectations. And I enjoyed it quite a bit *but* the secret was probably the low expectations...!

            I am willing to entertain an argument that the structure of a movie (vs short novel) means some kind of unifying theme & goal is desirable but the fact that the movie *starts* with the search for the seven Narnian Lords and morphs into the search for their *magical swords* and a battle against evil green fog just felt Harry-Potter-esque. Elevating the sea-serpent into a major battle (and incorporating Eustace Dragon) was predictable and tedious (I turned to Diana Glyer at the end and said, "they killed Cthulu!") although I did like the chittering sound they gave it, inappropriate as it was for an ocean-dwelling creature.

            I think the adaptation leaves MUCH to be desired and it's still the best of the 3 Narnian films made thus far. Don't expect a lot and DON'T re-read the book before seeing the movie (!! save that treat for after) and you too may find it better than anticipated.

            -- Lynn --

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2011
              Steve <sschaper@...> wrote:

              >They worked very hard to remove any chance that someone might be directed to Jesus
              >Christ, as well as changing the basic morality from that of Christianity to that of
              >Carl Rogers. Imagine if you went to a movie about the Nativity, and found out that
              >it was about the wonderful birth of -you-.
              >Aslan is portrayed as a powerful big buddy, a tame lion, not the Son of the Emperor
              >over Sea from Before Time, Who is the Lamb Who is the Lion.

              I'm not the best person to judge this, so I'd appreciate it if you'd tell us what exactly the movie did to fail to convey this. Aside from the fact that, as far as I can recall, the Emperor was not mentioned. But that in itself wouldn't be enough to change the tone so drastically. Aslan isn't on stage very much in this movie, but then, he isn't onstage much in the book either, and as far as I could tell, he was treated much the same. He even gets to say the book-Aslan's line about "I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name." How is he "tame" and not the Son in the movie that differs from the book?
            • David Emerson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2011
                >From: lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...>
                >
                >...I turned to Diana Glyer at the end and said, "they killed Cthulu!")

                Was it actually, "Oh, no! They killed Chthulu! The bastards!" --?

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com
              • lynnmaudlin
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Not from me; I'm always happy to see Cthulu completely destroyed-- :D

                  -- Lynn --