Re: [mythsoc] The voice of Aslan

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 22, 2010
      On Dec 22, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Darrell A. Martin wrote:

      > Third, I believe the original author's intentions, where they can be
      > discerned, are a crucial component of any work. Consider Tolkien's
      > reaction to some of the more enthusiastic elements of Middle-earth fandom.

      Consider too the reaction of many of us to the liberties Peter Jackson took with Tolkien's themes, emphases (or lack thereof), and characterizations in the m*vies.

      Carl
    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 22, 2010
        Yup - actors are actors and a good one can play a part ENTIRELY at odds with who he/she actually happens to be.

        I haven't been thrilled with Neeson's Aslan performances (and I'm a fan of his work, fwiw) - Diana Glyer mentioned listening to Patrick Stewart's Narnia recording (Last Battle, I think?) and THAT is the voice casting that would have been much better!!

        But I'm more bothered by the thing that won't change, in all this: our culture's superficial focus on the actors and their opinions rather than the reality of the source material. I guess that's too much effort for most folks; films are easy - pay a ticket, sit back and watch.

        -- Lynn --

        > > I had concerns about something like this when I first read that Liam Neeson
        > > had been chosen to be the voice of Aslan. Can a "non-believer" as I think he
        > > was at the time, [and I don't know what he believes now] give a perfomance
        > > infused with the true essence of Aslan?
        >
        > Of course he could. It's called acting for a reason. What Neeson believes
        > personally shouldn't enter into his performance in any substantive way, not if
        > he is doing his job. Even to entertain the idea that the roles of believers
        > should be played only by actual believers ... I find this very troubling. We
        > might as well say that only an actual talking lion could play Aslan. But of
        > course, no actual lion can talk -- and an actual lion might eat his castmates,
        > which would be inconvenient. I mean, when you get right down to it, acting is
        > make-believe. The idea is to be convincing, sure, but it's still just
        > make-believe. I don't think it should make any difference whether a devout
        > Christian belief -- along with accent, personality, and lionness -- is one of
        > the things the actor is making believe.

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 22, 2010
          yes, God uses all things (which isn't to say that all things are as He desires them to be; He takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked, for example, and would prefer they repent and NOT be wicked) to advance His purpose.

          I spent enough time on the edges of the Christian music industry as well as the secular music industry to know there's not much difference... in fact, I've seen more rip-offs happen in the name of Christ :( that's a very sad thing indeed.

          -- Lynn --

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, dale nelson <extollager2006@...> wrote:

          > I haven't been able to verify the anecdote, but I believe that Luther offered
          > this thought experiment: if the devil himself preached a true Gospel sermon, the
          > Word thus preached would be efficacious according to God's will -- even in spite
          > of the evil one's wishes. For what Luther's opinion may be worth, I don't
          > think he would be too worried about the personal beliefs or unbelief of an actor
          > in an entertainment such as this, any more than he would be worried about
          > whether the construction crew rearing a church building was composed of faithful
          > Christians.
          >

          > Parents of children who are fans of the Narnian movies might respond that they
          > regret it when, in publicity related to the movies, members of the crew make
          > statements that might confuse kids. That's a separate issue. It really belongs
          > to a discussion that the parents need to have with their kids about the whole
          > publicity business.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 22, 2010
            >From: lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...>
            >
            >I haven't been thrilled with Neeson's Aslan performances (and I'm a fan of his work, fwiw) - Diana Glyer mentioned listening to Patrick Stewart's Narnia recording (Last Battle, I think?) and THAT is the voice casting that would have been much better!!

            I would've said James Earl Jones, but maybe he's been overused for that kind of thing.

            >But I'm more bothered by the thing that won't change, in all this: our culture's superficial focus on the actors and their opinions rather than the reality of the source material.

            Right. It's always disturbed me that media-oriented SF cons make a big deal over TV/movie actors from SF shows, as if the fans are confused enough to be unable to distinguish between actor and character. But then I started out in "traditional" SF fandom, where the emphasis is on *writers*, so maybe I'm biased. (Naw...)

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • lynnmaudlin
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 22, 2010
              If it was purely the voice, James Earl Jones would be brilliant. But we have to take into consideration the associations with the voice and, in this case, I don't think it would be wise to have Darth Vader give voice to Aslan... eeeek!! ;D

              -- Lynn --