Aslan and allegory

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2010
      I think that first, as Lynn says, this is just an actor talking.  Why we should expect deep religious commentary from an actor is beyond me.  Second, I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned (well, unless I've missed it) that Aslan is not an allegory for Christ at all.  Lewis explained it as follows:

      In a letter of December 29, 1958 to Martha Hook, Lewis says, "If Aslan represented the immaterial Deity in the same way in which Giant Despair represents Despair [in The Pilgrim's Progress], he would be an allegorical figure. In reality however he is an invention giving an imaginary answer to the question, 'What might Christ become like if there really were a world like Narnia and He chose to be incarnate and die and rise again in that world as He actually has done in ours?' This is not an allegory at all."
      I suspect that the actors were told that the film producers wanted to bring in Christian filmgoers without offending any non-Christians.  So when asked about what Aslan is, they have no choice except to say that Aslan represents Christ in some sense, but filmgoers of other religions can also get some enlightenment from the film and shouldn't be offended by the Christian imagery.  The worst that you can say is that this attitude is wishy-washy.  It's trying desperately to not offend anybody.  Trying to get any deeper enlightenment from what Neeson is saying is pointless.

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 12/22/2010 6:26:11 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, lynnmaudlin@... writes:

      There was some discussion of it on Hugh Hewitt's radio show several weeks ago; the consensus being that Neeson (who is apparently a relatively recent convert to Roman Catholicism) either doesn't understand his faith or hasn't bothered to read CSL.

      But why anyone should care what the actor thinks is puzzling to me-- we should care what the author thinks and we should care whether the director & producer create a film which lines up with the author's purpose, not even whether they (director and/or producer) agree with the author's view. The actors are beside the point.

      I realize that actors are high profile and all but one might as well ask the gaffer's opinion.

      -- Lynn --