recordings of Lewis's radio addresses

  • redredrobin17372
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 16, 2010
      Hi, I've been a member of the Mythopoeic Society since the late '80s. I read a paper at the 1987 Mythcon, which was subsequently published in Mythlore. I've offered course work on Lewis and on Tolkien both in schools and churches. I guess I thought I should introduce myself a little before asking my question. A colleague of mine is looking for recordings of Lewis's radio addresses, the ones broadcast that eventually became the basis for Mere Christianity (as I understand it, published as two books first, then as the one book). Are there recordings available? Were any of them made at the time? I have some recordings of Lewis and Tolkien from later in their lives, though nothing earlier and certainly not from the War time. Is there a BBC archive from then or that goes back to then, and is such an archive accessible? Sorry for such a long entry, so I'll stop. Thanks for any consideration and any responses, C L Couch (Pennsylvania)
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 16, 2010
        "All but three of the broadcasts that Lewis made over the BBC during 1941-44, and which were later published as Mere Christianity, were delivered live. The three recorded on disc were from the last series entitled Beyond Personality. However, the only one of these three talks which has survived is the one entitled "The New Man." It was recorded on 21 March 1944 and is 14'12" long." - Walter Hooper, _C.S. Lewis: A Companion & Guide_, p. 779.

        It goes on to say that this and other (post-war) recordings of Lewis speaking have been issued by the Episcopal Radio-TV Foundation. This is now part of the Alliance for Christian Media, and their website at www.episcopalonline.org shows that they still sell recordings of Lewis, though it's not clear if "The New Man" is on the compilation.

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 16, 2010
          The recording that I wonder about is of Lewis's conversation about science fiction with Brian Aldiss and Kingsley Amis.  (A transcript has appeared in more than one of the Lewis collections, as "Unreal Estates.")

          One wonders what happened to the tape.  If somehow it has survived, could it be released to the public?

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 16, 2010
            All that Hooper says about that one is that Aldiss is the person who recorded it.  Possibly Aldiss, who is 85 but as far as I know still hale, still has the tape.  It might be worth contacting him.

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 16, 2010
              Hi C.L.
              I can't testify as to the cds, but I do have the audiocassette version of C. S. LEWIS SPEAKS HIS MIND, which includes (1) a talk on Bunyan,* (2) "The Great Divide" (a radio talk adapted from his Cambridge inaugural lecture, DE DESCRIPTIONE TEMPORUM), (3) the introduction to THE GREAT DIVORCE, and (4) a talk on Charles Wms. Having now followed the link David provided I strongly suspect their new cd set has the same contents (plus, of course, THE FOUR LOVES, which I have as a separate set of cassettes). So it probably also lacks the fragment from MERE CHRISTIANITY.
              The latter has been released, as part of a recording by Michael York, but I don't have a copy of that one, as it was already long out-of-print before I ever found out about it. I note that an audiobook of York reading MERE CHRISTIANITY is currently available (e.g., on amazon.com) but can't tell from the write-up there whether it includes the Lewis audio fragment .
              I'd also be quite interested to know if the recording from which the Lewis/Amis/Aldiss transcript was made still survives.

              --JDR

              [*John, not Paul]

              On Dec 16, 2010, at 1:40 PM, David Bratman wrote:
              > "All but three of the broadcasts that Lewis made over the BBC during 1941-44, and which were later published as Mere Christianity, were delivered live. The three recorded on disc were from the last series entitled Beyond Personality. However, the only one of these three talks which has survived is the one entitled "The New Man." It was recorded on 21 March 1944 and is 14'12" long." - Walter Hooper, _C.S. Lewis: A Companion & Guide_, p. 779.
              >
              > It goes on to say that this and other (post-war) recordings of Lewis speaking have been issued by the Episcopal Radio-TV Foundation. This is now part of the Alliance for Christian Media, and their website at www.episcopalonline.org shows that they still sell recordings of Lewis, though it's not clear if "The New Man" is on the compilation.

            • dale nelson
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 16, 2010
                Y'know, Aldiss has, or had, a web presence, and I left a message there about the tape, but if there was a reply I missed it.  It's not hard to imagine ways in which a tape could have been lost in the course of a half century.

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 16, 2010

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 17, 2010
                    Two pieces of news about my book, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion.

                    First, Google is now selling a fully searchable electronic version of the book:  Arda reconstructed: the creation of the published Silmarillion (Google eBook)

                    And, for those who have been hoping for a more affordable version, I've just gotten word that the publisher has agreed to publish a new paperback edition, next year. Details to come when I have them.
                    Doug
                  • John Rateliff
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 17, 2010
                      Congratulations, Doug. That shd give more folks a chance to read it. Are you doing any changes/revisions for the new edition?

                        --JDR

                      On Dec 17, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Doug Kane wrote:
                      Two pieces of news about my book, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion.

                      <snip>

                       And, for those who have been hoping for a more affordable version, I've just gotten word that the publisher has agreed to publish a new paperback edition, next year. Details to come when I have them.

                    • Doug Kane
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 17, 2010
                        Thanks, John.  I hope to, at the very least, to correct the errata that I and others have noted.  To what extent I'll be able to do more significant revisions still remains to be seen.

                        Doug

                        Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 10:51 AM
                        Subject: Re: [mythsoc] e-book and paperback editions of Arda Reconstructed

                        Congratulations, Doug. That shd give more folks a chance to read it. Are you doing any changes/revisions for the new edition?

                          --JDR

                        On Dec 17, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Doug Kane wrote:
                        Two pieces of news about my book, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion.

                        <snip>

                         And, for those who have been hoping for a m ore affordable version, I've just gotten word that the publisher has agreed to publish a new paperback edition, next year. Details to come when I have them.

                        No virus found in this message.