FWD: Odyssey Writing Workshop 2011

  • ftl_publications
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2010
      I thought some of the members of Myth Soc might be interested in the Odyssey
      Writing Workshop, a program for fantasy, science fiction, and horror
      writers. The 2011 workshop will be held from June 6th to July 15th at Saint
      Anselm College in Manchester, New Hampshire.
      Odyssey provides a great opportunity for writers to improve their skills and
      receive feedback from editors and authors. More information can be found in
      the press release below, or on the workshop website www.odysseyworkshop.org
      . The director, Jeanne Cavelos
      , is always happy to answer
      questions and discuss the workshop. She can be reached by email at
      jcavelos@....

      I'd appreciate it if you'd consider forwarding this to your list.

      Thank you,

      Susan Sielinski

      Odyssey Administrator

      susansielinski@...

      www.odysseyworkshop.org

      Publicity Release

      November 2010

      ODYSSEY WRITING WORKSHOP

      ANNOUNCES ITS 16th SUMMER SESSION

      About Odyssey

      Since its founding in 1996, Odyssey has become one of the most respected
      workshops in the science fiction, fantasy, and horror writing community.
      Odyssey is for developing writers whose work is approaching publication
      quality and for published writers who want to improve their work. The
      six-week workshop combines advanced lectures, exercises, extensive writing,
      and in-depth feedback on student manuscripts. Top authors, editors, and
      agents have served as guest lecturers, including George R. R. Martin, Harlan
      Ellison, Jane Yolen, Terry Brooks, Robert J. Sawyer, Ben Bova, Nancy Kress,
      Elizabeth Hand, Jeff VanderMeer, Donald Maass, Sheila Williams, Shawna
      McCarthy, Carrie Vaughn, and Dan Simmons. Fifty-three percent of Odyssey
      graduates go on to professional publication.

      The program is held every summer on Saint Anselm College's beautiful campus
      in Manchester, NH. Saint Anselm is one of the finest liberal arts colleges
      in the country, dedicated to excellence in education, and its campus
      provides a peaceful setting and state-of-the-art facilities for Odyssey
      students. College credit is available upon request.

      Jeanne Cavelos, Odyssey's director and primary instructor, is a best-selling
      author and a former senior editor at Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing, where
      she won the World Fantasy Award for her work. As an editor, Cavelos worked
      with many different types of writers and found ways to help all of them
      improve their work. She provides students with insightful and constructive
      critiques of their work. "I give the same unflinchingly honest, concrete,
      detailed feedback that I provided as a senior editor," Cavelos said. Her
      typewritten critiques average over 1,200 words, and her handwritten line
      edits on manuscripts are extensive. In addition, she guides students
      through the six weeks, gaining in-depth knowledge of their work, providing
      detailed assessments of their strengths and weaknesses in private meetings,
      and helping them target their weaknesses one by one.

      Odyssey class time is split between workshopping sessions and lectures. An
      advanced, comprehensive curriculum covers the elements of fiction writing in
      depth. While feedback reveals the weaknesses in students' manuscripts,
      lectures teach the tools and techniques necessary to strengthen them.

      The workshop runs from June 6 to July 15, 2011. Class meets for four hours
      in the morning, five days a week. Students spend about eight hours more per
      day writing and critiquing each other's work. Prospective students, aged
      eighteen and up, apply from all over the world. The early admission
      application deadline is JANUARY 31, and the regular admission deadline is
      APRIL 8. Tuition is $1900, and housing is $775 for a double room and $1550
      for a single.

      Meet Our 2011 Writer-in-Residence

      Odyssey's 2011 writer-in-residence is award-winning author Gary A.
      Braunbeck. Braunbeck has published 25 books, over 200 short stories, and
      co-edited 2 anthologies. Though he is best known as a writer of dark
      fantasy and horror, he has also published in the fields of mystery,
      suspense, science fiction, fantasy, bizarro, Western, and mainstream
      literature. His work has won numerous awards. But most important, Gary is
      an experienced and highly praised teacher and mentor. Gary serves as an
      adjunct professor at Seton Hill University's Master's program in Writing
      Popular Fiction. He has also taught writing seminars and workshops around
      the country

      Other Guest Lecturers

      The 2011 workshop has an exciting line-up of award-winning guest lecturers,
      who also happen to be some of the top teachers in the field: authors
      Elizabeth Bear, Barry B. Longyear, Theodora Goss, and Christopher Golden;
      and editor John Joseph Adams.

      Odyssey Graduates

      Graduates of the Odyssey Writing Workshop have been published in the top
      fiction magazines and by the top book publishers in the field. You can find
      their stories in recent issues of many magazines, including Realms of
      Fantasy, Analog, Asimov's, Weird Tales, Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic
      Medicine Show, and Fantasy Magazine; and in recent anthologies, including
      Wild Cards I, The Living Dead 2, Blood Lite 2, and Full Moon City. Recent
      novels published by Odyssey graduates include Kitty Goes to War and
      Discord's Apple by Carrie Vaughn, published by Tor Books; Dark Designs by
      Luisa Prieto, published by MLR Press; Kings and Assassins by Lane Robins,
      published by Del Rey; Foxfire by Barbara Campbell, published by DAW; The
      Bastard Queen by Elaine Isaak, published by Swimming Kangaroo Books; and
      Ghosts and Echoes by Lyn Benedict, published by Ace Books.

      Rhiannon Held, a graduate of the 2006 workshop, just sold her first novel,
      Silver, and two sequels to Tor.

      She describes her development as a writer this way: "What I was missing was
      the bigger picture. . . . That's what Odyssey and Jeanne Cavelos gave me.
      Looking back, I wouldn't tell you that Odyssey taught me plot, or Odyssey
      taught me dialogue. It did, of course, very good plot and very good
      dialogue, but more importantly it taught me to think about writing, and to
      learn about writing. It gave me a fundamental mindset that has helped me
      learn after Odyssey, and keep learning even now. . . . Odyssey gave me the
      thinking and learning skills to succeed."

      Comments from the Class of 2010

      "I've taken part in other writing programs, and I can attest to the fact
      that Odyssey is in a different league. . . . I am so exhausted, but so
      happy to have experienced Odyssey. I would do it again in a heartbeat. And
      I wish I could do it again. I wholeheartedly recommend Odyssey to any
      writers who are dedicated to seriously improving their craft."
      --Meira Marom

      "Odyssey is tougher and more intense than any workshop or writer's
      conference I've attended. By having one mentor and total immersion, I've
      made more breakthroughs in six weeks at Odyssey than in two years in an MFA
      program. Jeanne is thoughtful and compassionate, but doesn't let students
      get away with anything. Her insightfulness and dedication are Odyssey's
      greatest resources." --Eileen Wiedbrauk

      Other Odyssey Resources and Services

      The Odyssey Web site, www.odysseyworkshop.org ,
      offers many resources for writers, including online classes, a critique
      service, free podcasts, writing and publishing tips, and a weekly writing
      LiveJournal, as well as more information about how to apply. Those
      interested in applying to the workshop should visit the Web site, phone
      (603) 673-6234, or e-mail jcavelos@....