Re: [mythsoc] LOTR Unfilmable - Carpenter

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 16 7:38 AM
      Stolzi@... [Stolzi@...] wrote:
      > Well, in our iniquitous and film-soaked generation, many people think
      > everything and anything is filmable.

      Hear, hear!

      But that having been said, I can't wait for the films to come out <g>. My
      attitude is that they are /not/ going to be the books and I don't expect them
      in any way to be like the books. So wherever they /are/ like the books, I'll
      be happily pleased. What I'm going to look for is a coherent story well-told
      within the film medium, regardless of how much better I may think JRRT's
      actual novels are. Of course, I'm not a film buff at all, and actually find
      most movies boring, dull, and trite. I guess that's why I'm a book buff
      instead.

      Speaking of LOTR, I've been trying for years to get my wife to read the books
      to no avail. She doesn't mind fantasy -- actually greatly enjoys some fantasy
      books -- but she's never had a desire to read the book(s). Ever since we were
      first married, I've read to her for about 30 minutes each evening. We just
      finished a book, and I suggested LOTR, and to my surprise, she agreed! We're
      in the middle of chapter 2 now (Gollum has just gone under the mountains) and
      she's loving it. Oh happy day! <g>

      Sorry, but thought I'd gush a bit to a group that'd appreciate it.

      "Be careful. You know what he's like after a few novels."
      --M. Python
      Currently reading: Elsewhere, Vol. II, ed by Terri Windling and Mark Alan Arnold