Re: [mythsoc] The Inklings as characters

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 11, 2010
      "John Rateliff" <sacnoth@...> wrote:

      > And yes, it's v. much an Inkling-themed Dan-Brown lite. The scenes
      > in which various Inklings appear are by far the best part. As a little
      > scholarly touch, their dialogue (first Lewis, then Williams; the Tolkien
      > I haven't gotten to yet) is carefully end-noted in the back of the book,
      > where he tells you what CSL letter or CW book each line comes from.
      > The result is authentic in content but makes the Inklings sound a bit
      > stilted, like they enjoyed quoting themselves a bit too much.

      That was the problem with Humphrey Carpenter's reconstructed Inklings
      meeting in his _The Inklings_. Because he had documentary sources for what
      he put in their mouths (though he gave no footnotes), the Inklings sound
      like they're quoting themselves, as you so well put it. That feeling might
      be less strong for readers who hadn't already red all those sources, but it
      still could seem a little stiff.

      > Oh, and there's one annoying gaff: the main character (Tom) refers to
      > Lewis over and over as "Professor Lewis". The author cd have used
      > this as a bit of a clueless American getting things wrong, except that the
      > character addresses Lewis himself that way and CSL doesn't correct him.
      > Not that big a deal with someone just reading for the story, but I expect
      > it
      > wd make an English reader's teeth grind.

      That's annoying. I'm reminded of the way, in _The West Wing_, that
      characters make factual errors and other characters pounce on them and
      correct them. That means that, when a character makes a factual error and
      doesn't get corrected, that the mistake of the writer is even more glaring.

      DB