RE: [mythsoc] The Inklings as characters

  • Kathleen Lamantia
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 10 5:49 AM
      I am very paranoid about this myself, John.  I fear it will be terrible.  I hope it is remarkably good.

      Kathy

      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      From: john@...
      Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:24:54 +0000
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] The Inklings as characters

      Has anyone read this?

      It looks interesting, but I must admit to being a little worried that it is a book is about a journey through the English countryside by a US writer, a countryside which - to judge from the picture of Glastonbury Tor on its cover - will include places I know and love. (I'd certainly never dare set a book in the US!)

      Or am I being needlessly paranoid?

      John

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 10 5:52 AM
          Oh, I should also say that the book trailer (at the web site) is phenomenal. I watched it yesterday -- they've done a very nice job with that part of the marketing! :)

          -Alana

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 10 8:32 AM
            It sounds like Dan Brown.

            There's two words in that summary that sum up my reaction to it.  They are the last two words: "read less."

          • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 10 10:13 AM
              I got the book out of curiousity, and am a few chapters in. I want to
              read it all the way through before commenting fully on it, but I do have
              to admit that it is not gripping me tightly. As a writer myself, I feel
              it could have done with some more polishing (an early passage involving a
              metal-detector prompted me to post on LiveJournal about how to describe
              objects that are newish to the characters but well known to the readers).
              But like I said, I want to be just - which requires (for me, at least)
              that I finish reading it before leveling judgement.

              So, I give a cautious warning. But for other readers, their mileage may
              vary in the reading experience.

              Sarah

              > Oh, I should also say that the book trailer (at the web site) is
              > phenomenal.
              > I watched it yesterday -- they've done a very nice job with that part of
              > the
              > marketing! :)
              >
              > -Alana
              >
              > On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Kathleen Lamantia <
              > kathleen_lamantia@...> wrote:
              >

              >> I am very paranoid about this myself, John. I fear it will be terrible.
              >> hope it is remarkably good.
              >>
              >> Kathy
              >>

              > --
              > Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
              > http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
              > Author of "Nomi's Wish" (
              > http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html), featured in
              > Coyote Wild Magazine
              > Contributor to Origins Award winner, Serenity Adventures:
              > http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
              > --

            • John Rateliff
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 10 12:25 PM
                I'm also a few chapters in; I want to read it but keep putting it down and putting off picking it back up -- not a good sign.

                And yes, it's v. much an Inkling-themed Dan-Brown lite. The scenes in which various Inklings appear are by far the best part. As a little scholarly touch, their dialogue (first Lewis, then Williams; the Tolkien I haven't gotten to yet) is carefully end-noted in the back of the book, where he tells you what CSL letter or CW book each line comes from. The result is authentic in content but makes the Inklings sound a bit stilted, like they enjoyed quoting themselves a bit too much.

                Oh, and there's one annoying gaff: the main character (Tom) refers to Lewis over and over as "Professor Lewis". The author cd have used this as a bit of a clueless American getting things wrong, except that the character addresses Lewis himself that way and CSL doesn't correct him. Not that big a deal with someone just reading for the story, but I expect it wd make an English reader's teeth grind.

                --John R.

                On Dec 10, 2010, at 10:13 AM, scribbler@... wrote:
                > I got the book out of curiousity, and am a few chapters in. I want to
                > read it all the way through before commenting fully on it, but I do have
                > to admit that it is not gripping me tightly. As a writer myself, I feel
                > it could have done with some more polishing (an early passage involving a
                > metal-detector prompted me to post on LiveJournal about how to describe
                > objects that are newish to the characters but well known to the readers).
                > But like I said, I want to be just - which requires (for me, at least)
                > that I finish reading it before leveling judgement.
                >
                > So, I give a cautious warning. But for other readers, their mileage may
                > vary in the reading experience.
                >
                > Sarah

              • Jason Fisher
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 10 1:40 PM
                  Would one of you like to write the review of Looking for the King for Mythprint? I was thinking of doing it, but I have more than enough to be getting on with as it is. I would welcome a volunteer.

                  Jason

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 10 3:11 PM
                    I won't mind doing it, Jason. It would certainly nudge me into reading it
                    more diligently. :D

                    Sarah

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 11 8:59 AM
                      "John Rateliff" <sacnoth@...> wrote:

                      > And yes, it's v. much an Inkling-themed Dan-Brown lite. The scenes
                      > in which various Inklings appear are by far the best part. As a little
                      > scholarly touch, their dialogue (first Lewis, then Williams; the Tolkien
                      > I haven't gotten to yet) is carefully end-noted in the back of the book,
                      > where he tells you what CSL letter or CW book each line comes from.
                      > The result is authentic in content but makes the Inklings sound a bit
                      > stilted, like they enjoyed quoting themselves a bit too much.

                      That was the problem with Humphrey Carpenter's reconstructed Inklings
                      meeting in his _The Inklings_. Because he had documentary sources for what
                      he put in their mouths (though he gave no footnotes), the Inklings sound
                      like they're quoting themselves, as you so well put it. That feeling might
                      be less strong for readers who hadn't already red all those sources, but it
                      still could seem a little stiff.

                      > Oh, and there's one annoying gaff: the main character (Tom) refers to
                      > Lewis over and over as "Professor Lewis". The author cd have used
                      > this as a bit of a clueless American getting things wrong, except that the
                      > character addresses Lewis himself that way and CSL doesn't correct him.
                      > Not that big a deal with someone just reading for the story, but I expect
                      > it
                      > wd make an English reader's teeth grind.

                      That's annoying. I'm reminded of the way, in _The West Wing_, that
                      characters make factual errors and other characters pounce on them and
                      correct them. That means that, when a character makes a factual error and
                      doesn't get corrected, that the mistake of the writer is even more glaring.

                      DB