Re: [mythsoc] Fictionalizing Lewis & Tolkien

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
      How soon they — more importantly, I — forget. Oh, the shame. Thanks for the reminder, Janet. :)

      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
        Dorman's Mythprint article is about the "hows" and doesn't detail any of the actual works which have incorporated CSL & JRRT (like James Owens' Dragon books... :D ).

        AND, speaking of Mythprint, isn't it cool? The December Mythprint is already out! I love the new, colorful PDF digital Mythprint; I don't have to figure out what to do with the magazine after reading it in physical format!

        -- Lynn --

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
          I haven't received it.

          Wendell Wagner

          In a message dated 12/9/2010 9:05:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, lynnmaudlin@... writes:
          The December Mythprint is already out!
        • bernip
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
            I believe David delivered a paper on this at Mythcon as well.

            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
              Wendell, do you get Mythprint in print, as opposed to the electronic format? I'm assuming so. The paper edition is always out later -- it takes time to print, assemble, address, and mail them. This should be an incentive to go digital! I realize some people cannot bring themselves to give up the paper, but there are many advantages to the electronic format.

              Jason

                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                  Ah, in that case, your email address may be incorrect in our master list. Or it may have dropped out of the list accidentally. Is your AOL address the one where you receive your subscription? Let me know, and I'll look into the matter.

                  Jason

                  Wendell, do you get Mythprint in print, as opposed to the electronic format? I'm assuming so. The paper edition is always out later -- it takes time to print, assemble, address, and mail them. This should be an incentive to go digital! I realize some people cannot bring themselves to give up the paper, but there are many advantages to the electronic format.

                  Jason

                    Yes, the AOL address is the one I use for my subscription (and it's the only one I've ever had).

                    Wendell

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                      Do you get it electronically? Otherwise paper takes awhile... it must be printed and assembled and mailed and all that jazz...

                      -- Lynn --

                      > I haven't received it.
                      >
                      > Wendell Wagner
                      >

                      > In a message dated 12/9/2010 9:05:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      > lynnmaudlin@... writes:
                      >
                      > The December Mythprint is already out!

                    • lynnmaudlin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                        Change in the AOL spam filter? It comes in from the MythSoc...

                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                          I suspect that may be my bibliography in the January 2010 issue you're
                          thinking of, the much-requested reading list from the paper I gave at the LA
                          Mythcon the previous summer, which surveyed many books using the Inklings as
                          fictional characters (but not "Looking for the King", which hadn't come out
                          yet), including those of James A. Owen, our author Guest of Honor, and going
                          all the way back to the exceedingly rare novel that fictionalized Charles
                          Williams in 1933.

                          David Bratman

                          "Alana Abbott" <alanajoli@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > I remember someone posting at some point that they were writing a paper
                          > (or
                          > hoping someone would write a paper) about how Tolkien and Lewis are
                          > appearing in new fiction as characters. Two of the works that were
                          > mentioned, possibly in different threads, were the graphic novel *Heaven's
                          > War* and the novel *Looking for the King.* Is anyone compiling a list of
                          > books -- good or bad -- that include the Inklings as characters? (I
                          > figured
                          > that if someone was writing a paper, such a list might already be in
                          > possession of a Mythie.)
                        • Alana Abbott
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 10, 2010
                            David,

                            Your list is *amazing*. Thanks to you and Janet for redirecting me!

                            -Alana

                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 10, 2010
                              Will someone *please* send me the December Mythprint?

                              Does anyone else here have an AOL account that they receive their Mythprint on?  Did you get it this month?  If you did, that would show that my not receiving it had nothing to do with AOL.

                              Wendell

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 8, 2011
                                Now that I've read David Downing's _Looking for the King_, which I rather
                                enjoyed - it's certainly far superior to _Heaven's War_ or the likes of Dan
                                Brown - I've added it to my bibliography of the Inklings in fiction. To
                                which I've also added the subcategories of the Inklings in each other's
                                fiction (a category I deliberately excluded from earlier versions) and of
                                conversations with Lewis's ghost (which I unaccountably left out). And I've
                                put the whole online:

                                http://home.earthlink.net/~dbratman/infiction.html
                              • Alana Abbott

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 8, 2011
                                    I too am very glad to see this available online. Thanks, David.