RE: [mythsoc] Fictionalizing Lewis & Tolkien

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010

      Did you read the latest issue of Mythprint? Susan Dorman’s article on fictionalizing Lewis probably covers a lot of this ground, though I haven’t read this version of her research yet.

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Associate Professor
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft/CurriculumVitae
      http://libraries.ou.edu/

        I remember someone posting at some point that they were writing a paper (or hoping someone would write a paper) about how Tolkien and Lewis are appearing in new fiction as characters. Two of the works that were mentioned, possibly in different threads, were the graphic novel Heaven's War and the novel Looking for the King. Is anyone compiling a list of books -- good or bad -- that include the Inklings as characters? (I figured that if someone was writing a paper, such a list might already be in possession of  a Mythie.)

        -Alana

      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
          Funny coincidence, eh? But a list is a good idea. I haven't seen one of those.

          Jason

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010

            Actually, David Bratman had a bibliography in Mythprint #330, January 2010, one of the two issues I edited – see page 11.

            Janet

            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
              How soon they — more importantly, I — forget. Oh, the shame. Thanks for the reminder, Janet. :)

              Actually, David Bratman had a bibliography in Mythprint #330, January 2010, one of the two issues I edited – see page 11.

              Janet

              Funny coincidence, eh? But a list is a good idea. I haven't seen one of those.

              Jason

              I remember someone posting at some point that they were writing a paper (or hoping someone would write a paper) about how Tolkien and Lewis are appearing in new fiction as characters. Two of the works that were mentioned, possibly in different threads, were the graphic novel Heaven's War and the novel Looking for the King. Is anyone compiling a list of books -- good or bad -- that include the Inklings as characters? (I figured that if someone was writing a paper, such a list might already be in possession of  a Mythie.)

              -Alana

            • lynnmaudlin
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                Dorman's Mythprint article is about the "hows" and doesn't detail any of the actual works which have incorporated CSL & JRRT (like James Owens' Dragon books... :D ).

                AND, speaking of Mythprint, isn't it cool? The December Mythprint is already out! I love the new, colorful PDF digital Mythprint; I don't have to figure out what to do with the magazine after reading it in physical format!

                -- Lynn --

                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                  I haven't received it.

                  Wendell Wagner

                  In a message dated 12/9/2010 9:05:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, lynnmaudlin@... writes:
                  The December Mythprint is already out!
                • bernip
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                    I believe David delivered a paper on this at Mythcon as well.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                      Wendell, do you get Mythprint in print, as opposed to the electronic format? I'm assuming so. The paper edition is always out later -- it takes time to print, assemble, address, and mail them. This should be an incentive to go digital! I realize some people cannot bring themselves to give up the paper, but there are many advantages to the electronic format.

                      Jason

                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                          Ah, in that case, your email address may be incorrect in our master list. Or it may have dropped out of the list accidentally. Is your AOL address the one where you receive your subscription? Let me know, and I'll look into the matter.

                          Jason

                          Wendell, do you get Mythprint in print, as opposed to the electronic format? I'm assuming so. The paper edition is always out later -- it takes time to print, assemble, address, and mail them. This should be an incentive to go digital! I realize some people cannot bring themselves to give up the paper, but there are many advantages to the electronic format.

                          Jason

                            Yes, the AOL address is the one I use for my subscription (and it's the only one I've ever had).

                            Wendell

                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                              Do you get it electronically? Otherwise paper takes awhile... it must be printed and assembled and mailed and all that jazz...

                              -- Lynn --

                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                                Change in the AOL spam filter? It comes in from the MythSoc...

                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 9, 2010
                                  I suspect that may be my bibliography in the January 2010 issue you're
                                  thinking of, the much-requested reading list from the paper I gave at the LA
                                  Mythcon the previous summer, which surveyed many books using the Inklings as
                                  fictional characters (but not "Looking for the King", which hadn't come out
                                  yet), including those of James A. Owen, our author Guest of Honor, and going
                                  all the way back to the exceedingly rare novel that fictionalized Charles
                                  Williams in 1933.

                                  David Bratman

                                  "Alana Abbott" <alanajoli@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi all,
                                  >
                                  > I remember someone posting at some point that they were writing a paper
                                  > (or
                                  > hoping someone would write a paper) about how Tolkien and Lewis are
                                  > appearing in new fiction as characters. Two of the works that were
                                  > mentioned, possibly in different threads, were the graphic novel *Heaven's
                                  > War* and the novel *Looking for the King.* Is anyone compiling a list of
                                  > books -- good or bad -- that include the Inklings as characters? (I
                                  > figured
                                  > that if someone was writing a paper, such a list might already be in
                                  > possession of a Mythie.)
                                • Alana Abbott
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 10, 2010
                                    David,

                                    Your list is *amazing*. Thanks to you and Janet for redirecting me!

                                    -Alana

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 10, 2010
                                      Will someone *please* send me the December Mythprint?

                                      Does anyone else here have an AOL account that they receive their Mythprint on?  Did you get it this month?  If you did, that would show that my not receiving it had nothing to do with AOL.

                                      Wendell

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 8, 2011
                                        Now that I've read David Downing's _Looking for the King_, which I rather
                                        enjoyed - it's certainly far superior to _Heaven's War_ or the likes of Dan
                                        Brown - I've added it to my bibliography of the Inklings in fiction. To
                                        which I've also added the subcategories of the Inklings in each other's
                                        fiction (a category I deliberately excluded from earlier versions) and of
                                        conversations with Lewis's ghost (which I unaccountably left out). And I've
                                        put the whole online:

                                        http://home.earthlink.net/~dbratman/infiction.html
                                      • Alana Abbott

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 8, 2011
                                            I too am very glad to see this available online. Thanks, David.