Re: Are Hobbits white?

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 9, 2010
      Yeah, I wasn't sure whether you were being Tolkien-specific or not. The shared love of "northernness" was one of the things that connected Lewis & Tolkien... I've not read the Wells "Outline of History" (eeek!) and I'm very aware that, just as we can look at Tolkien and his chronological contemporaries and see evidence of an assortment of "isms", future generations will look at us and do the same thing *and probably in areas we of which we're completely oblivious.* I fear it's an inescapable part of the human condition, at least on this earth.

      I'm sure you know LOTS more than I do about the Byzantine empire - it would be interesting to pick your brain some day. :)

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Darrell A. Martin" <darrellm@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > what I would call the North-western temper and temperature. In any case
      > if you want to write a tale of this sort you must consult your roots,
      > and a man of the North-west of the Old World will set his heart and the
      > action of his tale in an imaginary world of that air, and that situation
      > ..." as he wrote to W.H. Auden in 1955. It is an equally blunt fact that
      > the "North-west of the Old World" is the ancestral home of people with
      > distinguishing physical characteristics. They are part of "that air, and
      > that situation" and Tolkien consciously identifies himself with them. He
      > is proud of them when they behave admirably and pained by them when they
      > do not. And, rather than apologize for the identification, he affirms
      > it, and is angered by those such as Hitler who sully his people's
      > reputation.
      >
      > In the context of his times, Tolkien's racial opinions pale in
      > comparison with some others. H.G. Wells in his "Outline of History"
      > (editions from 1920 to 1949), discusses at length the races of mankind
      > and their relative development. He describes races as advanced, lower,
      > higher, and degraded. He is also quite judgmental in some cases,
      > although like Tolkien he is no blind advocate of "our" superiority. He
      > is particularly harsh on the Romans, delightedly mentioning the
      > discussion among Greeks whether the Romans of the Empire were "barbaroi"
      > (the consensus seems to be they were). He openly admires the Indian king
      > Asoka.
      >
      > By the way, Wells's "Outline" shows "dark whites" settling in western
      > Ireland and southern Wales. This is pertinent to the discussion of
      > racial variations in the British Isles, and thus to the question of Hobbits.
      >
      > I am very positively disposed toward those who refuse to make value
      > judgments based on skin color. However, our current refusal to evaluate
      > *behavioral* differences is intellectually questionable, and may be from
      > a sociological standpoint cultural suicide. Humans connect with those
      > they call "us" and prefer "our" behavior. When someone does not know who
      > "we" are, or do not see "us" as admirable, it is every bit as
      > dysfunctional as the stereotypical family of that ilk. I wonder whether
      > Science Fiction and Medieval High Fantasy serve as surrogates for
      > mainstream culture for many people of European ancestry, when so much of
      > what Tolkien called the "air of the North-west of the Old World" is
      > under attack among the intellectual elite of urban North America. In
      > popular culture, Tolkien *IS* Medieval High Fantasy. Consciously or
      > otherwise, I think Peter Jackson and the "Game of Thrones" people know
      > which side of their bread is buttered, and the appearance of "people of
      > color" in leading positive roles is to that extent unlikely.
      >
      > My opinions of Islam would best be left for a different forum and a more
      > propitious time of day for writing cautiously (it now being 3:45 a.m.

    • Darrell A. Martin
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 9, 2010
        On 12/8/2010 11:57 AM, David Bratman wrote *IN PART*:

        David:

        Inserted and indented.

        >> Tolkien
        >> describes his Hobbits as if they were certain kinds of English folk.
        >> That *ought* to end the discussion, in my opinion.
        >
        > Yet he says some hobbits were "browner". And I asked, what did he mean by
        > that?

        That they were somewhat darker of
        skin than other Hobbits. After
        that it gets fuzzy [wry grin].

        >> Some alteration is unavoidable because of
        >> the differences between the media,
        >
        > So we are constantly told, but aside from condensation, I have yet to see
        > any coherent argument explaining why particular alterations are necessary,
        > nor have I seen any declarations of what is not possible in movies that some
        > movie-maker hasn't violated with impunity.

        "Apart from condensation" is
        a bit like, "Apart from that
        awkward moment with Mr. Booth
        and Mr. Lincoln, the evening at
        Ford's Theater went well." The
        effects of condensation flow
        through every cinematic work.
        Well, maybe not "The Grinch
        Who Stole Christmas" (the
        real *animated* version) but
        the exception proves the rule.

        The primary alteration, though,
        is that a book creates sense
        input through the reader's
        imagination; a movie shows the
        same thing, or pipes it through
        speakers -- the "Grinch", in
        the case of sound, NOT being
        an exception.

        Of course, saying what is not
        possible in movies, these
        days, is pointless. If money
        can be made from it, not only
        *can* it be done, it most
        likely *has* been done. That
        reminds me ... OK, rewatched
        Gollum's acceptance speech
        for MTV's 2003 "Best Virtual
        Performance" award. QED.

        >> My biggest disappointment with "Game of Thrones" ...
        >> is that it can be accused, in my opinion, of the failure
        >> which Le Guin described in her essay, "From Elfland to Poughkeepsie."
        >> That is, that it is too much like a modern international political
        >> thriller, just with swords and a dash of supernaturalism thrown in, for
        >> my taste.
        >
        > Yet the amoral thriller aspect seems to be just what the book's fans like,
        > and the actors and movie-makers in the promo film actually praise the story
        > for having characters who are completely unpredictable. The appeal of this
        > eludes me.

        But for those who like that sort
        of thing, this may be just the
        sort of thing they will like....

        I find the amoral aspect of
        GoT means I am forced to, say,
        "suspend dislike"; but there is
        enough creativity to keep me
        interested. It is not, however,
        a book that I will reread at
        least once a year for the rest
        of my life, like LoTR.

        Darrell
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 9, 2010
          In this context, it's worth remembering that the Telmarines in the _Prince
          Caspian_ film were played by experienced Italian and Spanish-language
          actors. They were not only darker-complexioned than the English children,
          they were also _much_ better actors, which did tend to tamper with my
          sympathies for the characters.

          DB

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 10, 2010
            "Darrell A. Martin" <darrellm@...> wrote:

            >> So we are constantly told, but aside from condensation, I have yet to see
            >> any coherent argument explaining why particular alterations are
            >> necessary,
            >> nor have I seen any declarations of what is not possible in movies that
            >> some
            >> movie-maker hasn't violated with impunity.
            >
            > "Apart from condensation" is
            > a bit like, "Apart from that
            > awkward moment with Mr. Booth
            > and Mr. Lincoln, the evening at
            > Ford's Theater went well." The
            > effects of condensation flow
            > through every cinematic work.

            I profoundly disagree. Not that you're wrong about your main point:
            condensation does indeed, as you say, affect the entirety of any cinematic
            adaptation.

            Yet it is possible to discuss the causes and effects of other changes
            independently of those of condensation. For instance, in Jackson's LOTR's
            case, the changes of the characters of Denethor and Faramir were not driven
            by the need to condense the story; indeed, they hardly were condensed
            relative to the rest of the story at all, and indeed were expanded in
            relative importance somewhat, with new material invented by the
            screenwriters added.

            It is also necessary to make that distinction, if one wishes to criticize
            movie adapations in any form other than sweeping condemnation of the entire
            idea. The comparison with Lincoln's assassination suggests that you believe
            that condensation in adaptations is so poisonous that there's no point in
            discussing them further. I disagree. I believe it is possible to make a
            good movie adaption of at least some literary works, and that this has
            occasionally happened.

            I further find that, when I'm discussing Jackson with his defenders, that no
            matter how often I explain that I'm looking for something that conveys
            Tolkien's tone and spirit, not the entirety of his story, and that longer
            movies would not have been better - indeed, I think Jackson's films would
            have been superior had they been shorter - I have to keep fending off claims
            that the only kind of adapation that would satisfy us "book fans" is
            something 70 hours long with Bombadil in it, and that since that's obviously
            impossible we're just being unreasonable.

            No, that's not what I want at all, and I don't think it's what others who
            agree with me want, but comments like yours, comparing condensing a book
            with interrupting a play by assassinating the President, don't help.

            DB
          • Darrell A. Martin
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 10, 2010
              On 12/10/2010 2:05 AM, David Bratman wrote:
              > "Darrell A. Martin"<darrellm@...> wrote:
              >
              >>> So we are constantly told, but aside from condensation, I have yet to see
              >>> any coherent argument explaining why particular alterations are
              >>> necessary,
              >>> nor have I seen any declarations of what is not possible in movies that
              >>> some
              >>> movie-maker hasn't violated with impunity.
              >>
              >> "Apart from condensation" is
              >> a bit like, "Apart from that
              >> awkward moment with Mr. Booth
              >> and Mr. Lincoln, the evening at
              >> Ford's Theater went well." The
              >> effects of condensation flow
              >> through every cinematic work.
              >
              > I profoundly disagree. Not that you're wrong about your main point:
              > condensation does indeed, as you say, affect the entirety of any cinematic
              > adaptation.
              >
              > Yet it is possible to discuss the causes and effects of other changes
              > independently of those of condensation. For instance, in Jackson's LOTR's
              > case, the changes of the characters of Denethor and Faramir were not driven
              > by the need to condense the story; indeed, they hardly were condensed
              > relative to the rest of the story at all, and indeed were expanded in
              > relative importance somewhat, with new material invented by the
              > screenwriters added.
              >
              > It is also necessary to make that distinction, if one wishes to criticize
              > movie adapations in any form other than sweeping condemnation of the entire
              > idea. The comparison with Lincoln's assassination suggests that you believe
              > that condensation in adaptations is so poisonous that there's no point in
              > discussing them further. I disagree. I believe it is possible to make a
              > good movie adaption of at least some literary works, and that this has
              > occasionally happened.
              >
              > I further find that, when I'm discussing Jackson with his defenders, that no
              > matter how often I explain that I'm looking for something that conveys
              > Tolkien's tone and spirit, not the entirety of his story, and that longer
              > movies would not have been better - indeed, I think Jackson's films would
              > have been superior had they been shorter - I have to keep fending off claims
              > that the only kind of adapation that would satisfy us "book fans" is
              > something 70 hours long with Bombadil in it, and that since that's obviously
              > impossible we're just being unreasonable.
              >
              > No, that's not what I want at all, and I don't think it's what others who
              > agree with me want, but comments like yours, comparing condensing a book
              > with interrupting a play by assassinating the President, don't help.
              >
              > DB

              David:

              The Lincoln comparison was not an allegory. I used it to make one point,
              and one point only, that one *cannot* set aside condensation as a factor
              in adapting books to film, any more than one could discuss activities at
              Ford's Theater the evening of 14 April 1865, and ignore the historical
              event which took place. It will not bear a heavier load than that.

              You said, "The comparison with Lincoln's assassination suggests that you
              believe that condensation in adaptations is so poisonous that there's no
              point in discussing them further." I meant to suggest no such thing, and
              I don't believe it. It was a figure of speech with limited application.
              I could have said "condensation is the 800 pound gorilla in the
              book-to-cinema room" and I would not have been alerting anyone to danger
              from large primates. I made no "sweeping condemnation of the entire
              idea" of condensation because I do not condemn it at all. It is simply a
              crucial fact about the process of adaptation.

              My Lincoln reference may not have been the best choice -- I have made
              that mistake before and am unfortunately likely to do so again,
              especially when attempting humor -- but even so I do not think it
              supports your characterization of it.

              In fact, I agree that Jackson's films *could* have been superior had
              they been shorter, depending on what was cut. Not only superior as
              artistic efforts in their own right, but possibly superior *adaptations*.
              - Why so much time spent on the Birthday Party, if there is to be no
              Scouring of the Shire?
              - I think Arwen is superfluous in the books (in the main narrative),
              but in her minor role she does not get in the way. In the films her role
              is expanded to the point of intrusion.
              - Bilbo could have been off visiting Bombadil with no damage done.
              - We waste time watching Saruman grow his Uruk-hai (wrong in many ways).
              - Where did Aragorn-over-the-cliff come from? What does it add to the
              story?
              - The journey of Frodo to Mordor bored me nearly to literal tears, it
              dragged so; to a lesser extent, same for the Entmoot.
              - Faramir, one of my favorite characters in LoTR, could have been
              dispensed with, perhaps.
              - Etc.

              I also agree with you that Jackson made alterations that profoundly
              departed from Tolkien's concepts, with no seeming rationale.
              - His Orcs are way too fearsome individually, and worst of all way too
              inhuman.
              - Gimli is unrecognizable comic relief, a Tolkien Dwarf in height and
              beard only. "Toss me. But don't tell the Elf." Gack!
              - The Rivendell Robot Drill Squad that joins Aragorn at Helm's Deep
              resembles neither Elves nor the Dunedain.
              - Denethor somehow acquired a quivering lower lip. Mad? Obviously. A
              weakling? Hardly.
              - Etc.

              My greatest disappointment is that the two events with the most
              emotional impact for me are butchered, and they are in the same part of
              the story. The Ride of the Rohirrim is not about the Riders, but about
              squadrons of Oliphaunts, and Legolas preparing his Olympic gymnastic
              routine. And the arrival of the black ships, instead of the end of all
              hope turned suddenly and gloriously to victory with the unfurling of
              Aragorn's banner, is merely the end of a ferry ride for the Army of the
              Dead.

              There is plenty to like about Jackson's LoTR. I was particularly
              impressed by the scenes at Bree, by the drowning of Isengard, by Merry
              and Pippen at the gate afterward, and by Gandalf vs the Balrog. Both
              Gollum and Sauron are fiendishly good, as is Wormtongue (illustrating
              Jackson's greater success in portraying evil as opposed to good). And I
              do love the New Zealand scenery, even when it does not look at all like
              Middle-earth, especially in Rohan.

              Last but not least, Peter Jackson is not Ralph Bakshi, a huge point in
              his favor.

              What I think we are both saying is that Jackson could have done better,
              and that does *NOT* mean that every last word Tolkien wrote, and not a
              letter more, had to be slavishly duplicated on film. (At $375 per set,
              the DVDs would have sold like Picassos.)

              Darrell
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 10, 2010
                Darrell -

                I understand what figurative comparisons are, so you need not insult my intelligence by suggesting that I don't. I did not imagine that you were saying that anyone actually gets shot in the making of a movie adaptation, nor that Jackson trashing LOTR is as objectively bad for the world as the assassination of Lincoln.

                I would agree, too, that you cannot discuss the changes made for a movie adaptation without considering that condensation is the most important factor.

                But that is not what I was disputing. What I _am_ saying is that, in the course of a detailed discussion of the merits or demerits, success or failure, of that adaptation, you can take the necessity for condensation as a given, and consider other changes, not directly related to the need for condensation, by themselves. This gives you the opportunity of saying how the adaptation could have been better or worse, more or less faithful, than it was, while still remaining in the realm of what could realistically be done.

                Your assassination comparison opposes any argument of the sort. It says that you consider condensation itself to be a crime against the work so massive as to render any further discussion ridiculously bathetic. Either it means that or it means nothing at all.

                DB