Re: [mythsoc] The Hobbit Movies Language Coach?

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2010
      The original agreement would have only covered THE LORD OF THE RINGS and THE HOBBIT. But there is precedent for going beyond that: for example, Iron Crown's collectable card game (which was essentially a spin-off of the same license) got permission to use the names of the two Blue WIzards from the Istari essay printed in UNFINISHED TALES. But it's a far leap from using two names to lifting major plot-elements from THE QUEST OF EREBOR or THE 1960 HOBBIT.
         The Appendices, of course, shd be fair game. And I'm rather looking forward any cameo from Young Estel (though I'd be just as happy if they leave that out).
      --JDR

      On Dec 7, 2010, at 10:59 AM, Jason Fisher wrote:
      Does Peter Jackson have rights to film anything from Unfinished Tales? My impression is that the deal is only for The Hobbit. It would not matter that some of Unfinished Tales pertains to background events relevant to The Hobbit. I guess additional material from The Lord of the Ringsmight be acceptable to, under the terms of the previous film agreements, but I am not aware that the film rights to Unfinished Tales have ever been sold by the Tolkien Estate. Does anyone else know more?