Re: The Hobbit Movies Language Coach?

  • not_thou
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2010
      Estel / Aragorn might be significantly older than 10 in Jackson's _Hobbit_, because of changes made to the chronology in the _Lord of the Rings_ films, primarily the apparent omission of most of the book's 17-year delay between the Long-expected Party and Frodo's departure from the Shire.

      -Merlin

      --- David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      > I will just put down my marker now (actually, I've said this before) that the telltale indication that the Hobbit movie has gone down the wrong path will be if Bilbo meets the 10-year-old Estel in Rivendell. That would be the mark of a fanboy approach to the script. And Jackson could do it without recourse to any additional material other than LOTR.
    • John Rateliff
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2010
        I'd say we'll probably get Sindarin for Elvish, possibly a little Khuzdul muttering, and definitely some Orcish. Just a guess, though. I very much doubt there'll be any differentiation between the men of Dale or Bree or Lake-Town or the Wood-men.
        --John R.

        On Dec 7, 2010, at 7:58 AM, pengolodh_dk wrote:
        > Does anybody know if Peter Jackson et al. have approached any Tolkien scholars for help with Middle-earth languages for the upcoming Hobbit movies?
        >
        > One would imagine that David Salo had been asked. Also, one would imagine that if anybody at all had been asked, they would have to keep silent about it. If anyone knows and has permission to share this information, it would be interesting to know more about.
        >
        > Probably we are going to hear Sindarin, Silvan, Khuzdul, and Mannish (and Orcish). But only the imagination sets limit, since any number of scenes from Unfinished Tales and the imagination of Jackson and his co-workers will enter into the movies.
        >
        > All the best,
        > Peter Edelberg
      • John Rateliff
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2010
          The original agreement would have only covered THE LORD OF THE RINGS and THE HOBBIT. But there is precedent for going beyond that: for example, Iron Crown's collectable card game (which was essentially a spin-off of the same license) got permission to use the names of the two Blue WIzards from the Istari essay printed in UNFINISHED TALES. But it's a far leap from using two names to lifting major plot-elements from THE QUEST OF EREBOR or THE 1960 HOBBIT.
             The Appendices, of course, shd be fair game. And I'm rather looking forward any cameo from Young Estel (though I'd be just as happy if they leave that out).
          --JDR

          On Dec 7, 2010, at 10:59 AM, Jason Fisher wrote:
          Does Peter Jackson have rights to film anything from Unfinished Tales? My impression is that the deal is only for The Hobbit. It would not matter that some of Unfinished Tales pertains to background events relevant to The Hobbit. I guess additional material from The Lord of the Ringsmight be acceptable to, under the terms of the previous film agreements, but I am not aware that the film rights to Unfinished Tales have ever been sold by the Tolkien Estate. Does anyone else know more?