CFP of general interest

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2010
      The Southwest/Texas Popular Culture Association Conference is always worth attending, and even more so in years when we share with the national organization.  There are LOTS of areas to present in, and Rhonda and I won’t be hurt if you choose something other than librarianship. But here’s our CFP:

      Call for Papers:   Libraries, Archives, Museums and Popular Culture Area

      PCA/ACA & Southwest/Texas Popular Culture and American Culture Associations
      Joint Conference
      April 20-23, 2011
      San Antonio, TX
      http://www.swtxpca.org
      Proposal submission deadline: December 15, 2009
      Conference hotel: Marriott Rivercenter San Antonio
      101 Bowie Street
      San Antonio, Texas 78205 USA
      Phone:  1-210-223-1000

      The Libraries, Archives, Museums and Popular Culture area solicits paper proposals from librarians, archivists, curators, graduate students, faculty, collectors, writers, and other aficionados (yes! including people who use libraries, archives, and museums!) of popular culture and information settings of all types.  We encourage proposals for slide shows, video presentations, and panels organized around common themes.
      Some suggested topics:
      ?                     Histories and profiles of museums, archives, libraries, and other popular culture resources
      ?                     Intellectual freedom or cultural sensitivity issues related to popular culture resources
      ?                     Book clubs and reading groups, city- or campus-wide reading programs
      ?                     Collection building and popular culture resources
      ?                     Organization and description of popular culture resources
      ?                     New media formats and popular culture in libraries, archives, or museums
      ?                     Wikipedia, YouTube, Google books, social networking, EBay, gaming, and their impact on libraries and popular culture collections
      ?                     The role of public libraries in natural disasters and post-disaster community rebuilding
      Other topics welcome!!!

      Area Co-chairs: Janet Brennan Croft and Rhonda Harris Taylor
      Area:  Libraries, Archives, Museums and Popular Culture
      E-mail:  jbcroft@...; rtaylor@...

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Associate Professor
      Head of Access Services