Re: [mythsoc] Re: MythSoc Blog

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
      On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

      > Yeah, Lisa posted the info to LiveJournal this morning; I was up too late as it was and when I opened a LiveJournal window it was putting me through the mandatory advertisement, so I just went to bed! ;D

      I just slap those down mercilessly: close the window, restart my
      browser and go back to LiveJournal to read what I want. They never do
      it to you twice in a row.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean56@...>
    • Lisa Harrigan
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
        Since I hate ads, I just pays my money and don't have to deal with ads
        on LJ. Wish I could do the same with FB.

        But yes, I will pick up on stuff and transfer it to LJ or FB when I have
        time. Course a lot of the time Lynn has beat me to it.

        And the blog does need to get Share and Subscribe buttons of it's own.
        Currently the only RSS feed is a general one for the Website as a whole.
        Which, subscribing to our main RSS Feed isn't a bad idea either, you get
        news, blog posts, and reviews. :) I have it feeding to my Google Reader
        Page and My Yahoo front page, so I don't miss anything.

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa

        On 11/23/2010 8:23 PM, Margaret Dean wrote:

        > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...
        > <mailto:lynnmaudlin%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
        > >

        > > Yeah, Lisa posted the info to LiveJournal this morning; I was up too
        > late as it was and when I opened a LiveJournal window it was putting
        > me through the mandatory advertisement, so I just went to bed! ;D
        >
        > I just slap those down mercilessly: close the window, restart my
        > browser and go back to LiveJournal to read what I want. They never do
        > it to you twice in a row.
        >
        > --Margaret Dean
        > <margdean56@... <mailto:margdean56%40gmail.com>>

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
          thanks, Alana ;D (my habit is to read from where I left off and respond as I go, rather than read through to the end and see if my contribution duplicates someone else's!!).

          I try to get info out there in various media and in 2008 I started using Twitter but found there wasn't much call for MythSoc tweets (at least not in 2008): AT MythconLynn

          -- Lynn --

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Alana Abbott <alanajoli@...> wrote:

          > Zach, we do have a Facebook page:
          >
          > <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=61115826282>And I just checked -- the
          > Myth_Soc livejournal is a community, so I'm not sure if the new main blog
          > can be imported or not. It'd take someone tech savvier than me to figure it
          > out. (Either way, for those who didn't know, here:
          > http://community.livejournal.com/myth_soc/)
          >
          > -Alana (no social media expert, but pro-social media)
          >
          > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Zachary Bos <zakbos@...> wrote:
          >

          > > And, does the Society have a presence on Facebook, so that you can use an
          > > app like RSS Graffiti to pull posts automatically from the blog and publish
          > > them on a Facebook profile or Page as well?
          > >
          > > Socially medially yours,
          > >
          > > Zachary
          > >
          > > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Alana Abbott <alanajoli@...>wrote:
          > >

          > >> Hey Lynn,
          > >>
          > >> Is this crossposting on livejournal?
          > >>
          > >> -Alana

          > >> --
          > >> Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
          > >> http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
          > >> Author of "Nomi's Wish" (
          > >> http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html), featured in
          > >> Coyote Wild Magazine
          > >> Contributor to Origins Award winner, Serenity Adventures:
          > >> http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
          > >> --
          > >>

          > --
          > Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
          > http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
          > Author of "Nomi's Wish" (
          > http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html), featured in
          > Coyote Wild Magazine
          > Contributor to Origins Award winner, Serenity Adventures:
          > http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
          > --

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
            Thanks, Joan - I don't know if Randy (our webmaster) reads this group or not but I'll pass the word along-- :D

            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Joan.Marie.Verba@... wrote:

> [...]
          • Alana Abbott
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 24, 2010
              FWIW, livejournal does import the full entry to facebook.

              I'd love to see just the excerpt link in facebook from Mythsoc, though -- I'd be less likely to miss entries that way. (I am not usually inclined to go to unique sites to read blog entries unless something prompts me to go there.)

              -Alana

              On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:49 PM, <Joan.Marie.Verba@...> wrote:

              Yes, many people transfer their blog posts to Facebook. Facebook won't show the
              entire post, just an excerpt from it plus a link to the blog. Because it's an
              excerpt, people have to go to the blog to read the entire post.

              If the Mythsoc website is a Wordpress site, there are several applications that
              will transfer the blog entries to Facebook. If it isn't, it still can be done.

              (By the way, you can transfer LiveJournal posts to Facebook as well.)

              Hope that helps,
              Joan

              __.

            • Edith Crowe
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 26, 2010
                I hasten to add that I provide the content but it's mostly Randy who provides the technical expertise. We decided to begin the barenaked blog ASAP, and gradually add the bells & whistles. Your Corresponding Secretary is game but her previous blogging experience was with much simpler system, so Randy's pretty much on his own for the fancy stuff. Stay tuned. Possess your souls in patience.

                Edith Crowe, MSCS

                On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:54 PM, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

                http://www.mythsoc.org/blog/an-end-a-beginning/

                Corresponding Secretary Edith Crowe will be our primary blogger; she's currently writing up a Glen GoodKnight post.

                -- Lynn --

                --
                Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
                The Mythopoeic Society