Re: [mythsoc] MythSoc Blog

  • Zachary Bos
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
      And, does the Society have a presence on Facebook, so that you can use an app like RSS Graffiti to pull posts automatically from the blog and publish them on a Facebook profile or Page as well?

      Socially medially yours,

      Zachary

      On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Alana Abbott <alanajoli@...> wrote:

      Hey Lynn,

      Is this crossposting on livejournal?

      -Alana

      On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:54 AM, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

      http://www.mythsoc.org/blog/an-end-a-beginning/

      Corresponding Secretary Edith Crowe will be our primary blogger; she's currently writing up a Glen GoodKnight post.

      -- Lynn --

    • Alana Abbott
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
        Zach, we do have a Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=61115826282

        And I just checked -- the Myth_Soc livejournal is a community, so I'm not sure if the new main blog can be imported or not. It'd take someone tech savvier than me to figure it out. (Either way, for those who didn't know, here: http://community.livejournal.com/myth_soc/)

        -Alana (no social media expert, but pro-social media)

        On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Zachary Bos <zakbos@...> wrote:

        And, does the Society have a presence on Facebook, so that you can use an app like RSS Graffiti to pull posts automatically from the blog and publish them on a Facebook profile or Page as well?

        Socially medially yours,

        Zachary

        On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Alana Abbott <alanajoli@...> wrote:

        Hey Lynn,

        Is this crossposting on livejournal?

        -Alana

        On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:54 AM, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

        http://www.mythsoc.org/blog/an-end-a-beginning/

        Corresponding Secretary Edith Crowe will be our primary blogger; she's currently writing up a Glen GoodKnight post.

        -- Lynn --

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
          Yeah, Lisa posted the info to LiveJournal this morning; I was up too late as it was and when I opened a LiveJournal window it was putting me through the mandatory advertisement, so I just went to bed! ;D

          -- Lynn --

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Alana Abbott <alanajoli@...> wrote:

          > Hey Lynn,
          >
          > Is this crossposting on livejournal?
          >
          > -Alana
          >
          > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:54 AM, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
          >

          > > http://www.mythsoc.org/blog/an-end-a-beginning/
          > >
          > > Corresponding Secretary Edith Crowe will be our primary blogger; she's
          > > currently writing up a Glen GoodKnight post.
          > >
          > > -- Lynn --
          > >

          > --
          > Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
          > http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
          > Author of "Nomi's Wish" (
          > http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html), featured in
          > Coyote Wild Magazine
          > Contributor to Origins Award winner, Serenity Adventures:
          > http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
          > --

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
            <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=61115826282> is the MythSoc page on Facebook. I'm sure it can be set up to at least notify folks of new blog posts - I think *part* of the goal of the blog is to get people to actually come to the MythSoc website (a font of great knowledge which I reference a lot, actually - especially the Mythcon history pages!!) and, in that sense, if the whole blog post is republished on the Facebook page it might discourage folks from coming for a visit... I dunno, if you read it on Facebook will you come to the MythSoc page?

            -- Lynn --

          • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
                On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

                > Yeah, Lisa posted the info to LiveJournal this morning; I was up too late as it was and when I opened a LiveJournal window it was putting me through the mandatory advertisement, so I just went to bed! ;D

                I just slap those down mercilessly: close the window, restart my
                browser and go back to LiveJournal to read what I want. They never do
                it to you twice in a row.

                --Margaret Dean
                <margdean56@...>
              • Lisa Harrigan
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
                  Since I hate ads, I just pays my money and don't have to deal with ads
                  on LJ. Wish I could do the same with FB.

                  But yes, I will pick up on stuff and transfer it to LJ or FB when I have
                  time. Course a lot of the time Lynn has beat me to it.

                  And the blog does need to get Share and Subscribe buttons of it's own.
                  Currently the only RSS feed is a general one for the Website as a whole.
                  Which, subscribing to our main RSS Feed isn't a bad idea either, you get
                  news, blog posts, and reviews. :) I have it feeding to my Google Reader
                  Page and My Yahoo front page, so I don't miss anything.

                  Mythically yours,
                  Lisa

                  On 11/23/2010 8:23 PM, Margaret Dean wrote:

                  > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...
                  > <mailto:lynnmaudlin%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Yeah, Lisa posted the info to LiveJournal this morning; I was up too
                  > late as it was and when I opened a LiveJournal window it was putting
                  > me through the mandatory advertisement, so I just went to bed! ;D
                  >
                  > I just slap those down mercilessly: close the window, restart my
                  > browser and go back to LiveJournal to read what I want. They never do
                  > it to you twice in a row.
                  >
                  > --Margaret Dean
                  > <margdean56@... <mailto:margdean56%40gmail.com>>

                • lynnmaudlin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
                    thanks, Alana ;D (my habit is to read from where I left off and respond as I go, rather than read through to the end and see if my contribution duplicates someone else's!!).

                    I try to get info out there in various media and in 2008 I started using Twitter but found there wasn't much call for MythSoc tweets (at least not in 2008): AT MythconLynn

                  • lynnmaudlin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
                      Thanks, Joan - I don't know if Randy (our webmaster) reads this group or not but I'll pass the word along-- :D

                      -- Lynn --

                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Joan.Marie.Verba@... wrote:

> [...]
                    • Alana Abbott
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 24, 2010
                        FWIW, livejournal does import the full entry to facebook.

                        I'd love to see just the excerpt link in facebook from Mythsoc, though -- I'd be less likely to miss entries that way. (I am not usually inclined to go to unique sites to read blog entries unless something prompts me to go there.)

                        -Alana

                        On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:49 PM, <Joan.Marie.Verba@...> wrote:

                        Yes, many people transfer their blog posts to Facebook. Facebook won't show the
                        entire post, just an excerpt from it plus a link to the blog. Because it's an
                        excerpt, people have to go to the blog to read the entire post.

                        If the Mythsoc website is a Wordpress site, there are several applications that
                        will transfer the blog entries to Facebook. If it isn't, it still can be done.

                        (By the way, you can transfer LiveJournal posts to Facebook as well.)

                        Hope that helps,
                        Joan

                        __.

                      • Edith Crowe
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 26, 2010
                          I hasten to add that I provide the content but it's mostly Randy who provides the technical expertise. We decided to begin the barenaked blog ASAP, and gradually add the bells & whistles. Your Corresponding Secretary is game but her previous blogging experience was with much simpler system, so Randy's pretty much on his own for the fancy stuff. Stay tuned. Possess your souls in patience.

                          Edith Crowe, MSCS

                          On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:54 PM, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

                          http://www.mythsoc.org/blog/an-end-a-beginning/

                          Corresponding Secretary Edith Crowe will be our primary blogger; she's currently writing up a Glen GoodKnight post.

                          -- Lynn --

                          --
                          Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
                          The Mythopoeic Society