Welsh

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 1999
      Ron Speer:

      Diolch yn fawr. Do you speak Welsh? I've studied it, but the most
      fluent speaker of it I know is Alexei Kondratiev. He's in out
      Mythopoeic Society, and is a polyglot par excellence! ---djb.
    • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 1999
        Diane,
        I know very little Welsh, but I want to learn more. Wales, in my
        opinion, is a very underated Celtic country. All my favourite Celtic myths
        come from Wales and Welsh is the oldest living language, or so I have been
        informed.
        Diolch yn fawr,
        Ron
      • Diane Baker
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18, 1999
          FrMacKen@... wrote:

          > From: FrMacKen@...
          >
          > Diane,
          > I know very little Welsh, but I want to learn more. Wales, in my > opinion, is a very underated Celtic country. All my favourite Celtic > myths come from Wales and Welsh is the oldest living language, or so I > have been informed.
          > Diolch yn fawr,
          > Ron

          I love the Welsh versions of the King Arthur story, the mythology, very
          much enjoy Welsh music (esp. by Plethyn), and the triple Welsh harp.
          It's true that Welsh has a long continuity, and that it's changed little
          over the years, so that a modern Welsh speaker can understand the Welsh
          of the Bible as translated in the 1500's; I think that was their
          earliest translation. That could not be said of English speakers.
          ---djb.