Theatrical Trailer for Voyage of the Dawn Treader

  • ftl_publications
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2010
      Theatrical Trailer for Voyage of the Dawn Treader

      http://yhoo.it/aAxRIk
    • IcelofAngeln
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2010
        I am NOT encouraged. I think I see signs of major rewriting of the story, possibly worse than Caspian.

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "ftl_publications" <Joan.Marie.Verba@...> wrote:

        > Theatrical Trailer for Voyage of the Dawn Treader
        >
        > http://yhoo.it/aAxRIk

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 10, 2010
          ouch-- I fear you're right, Joan. :(

          I had hopes because Michael Apted did such a good job with AMAZING GRACE... the problem clearly lies with producers & Walden Media. bleah.

          -- Lynn --

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "IcelofAngeln" <solicitr@...> wrote:

          > I am NOT encouraged. I think I see signs of major rewriting of the story, possibly worse than Caspian.
          >
          > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "ftl_publications" <Joan.Marie.Verba@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Theatrical Trailer for Voyage of the Dawn Treader
          > >
          > > http://yhoo.it/aAxRIk

        • Kathleen Lamantia
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 10, 2010
            I can't bear to watch!

            To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            From: lynnmaudlin@...
            Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:13:08 +0000
            Subject: [mythsoc] Re: Theatrical Trailer for Voyage of the Dawn Treader

            ouch-- I fear you're right, Joan. :(

            I had hopes because Michael Apted did such a good job with AMAZING GRACE... the problem clearly lies with producers & Walden Media. bleah.

            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "IcelofAngeln" <solicitr@...> wrote:

            > I am NOT encouraged. I think I see signs of major rewriting of the story, possibly worse than Caspian.
            >
            > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "ftl_publications" <Joan.Marie.Verba@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Theatrical Trailer for Voyage of the Dawn Treader
            > >
            > > http://yhoo.it/aAxRIk

          • Cole Matson
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 10, 2010
              Yikes! It looks as if they're setting up the voyage to Aslan's Country solely as the means to an end (to find help to defeat some unnamed evil). I hope they don't miss the spiritual journey aspect of it - the fact that Aslan's Country draws the heart because it is itself good. The heart of VDT is in the spiritual journeys of its characters, IMHO, and if they leave out this meditative aspect of the journey towards God, they *might* get the basic elements of the plot right, but they'll miss the reason the plot is important.

              Btw, if anyone is in the Oxford area, Michael Ward, author of Planet Narnia, will be giving a talk on solar imagery in VDT on Tues 23 Nov at 8.15 p.m. at Pusey House, St Giles.

              Cole Matson

              P.S. - I recently became Vice-President of the Oxford C.S. Lewis Society and reviews editor for the C.S. Lewis Chronicle, the Society's journal. Please feel free to contact me if you're a scholar (academic or independent) who would like to:

              -Give a talk to the Society in the next year (if you'll be in the area - we can't fund trips, unfortunately)
              -Contribute a review or article to the journal
              -Donate a review copy of your book to be reviewed

              Also, if there's a particular book anyone would like to see reviewed, feel free to send me your suggestions as well.
            • not_thou
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 10, 2010
                That was Bill not Joan, Lynn. -Merlin

                P.S. As to Michael Apted, he is "only" the film's director, and in a franchise like this, he probably has less influence on the film, particularly on the shape of the story, than the writers and producers. The writers are Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely and Michael Petroni (so credited on IMDb -- I believe the ampersand indicates collaborators, while "and" indicates someone who worked on an earlier draft or on significant rewrites). The producers are Andrew Adamson, Douglas Gresham, Mark Johnson, Cort Kristen (assoc.), Perry Moore (exec.), and Philip Steur. You will recall that Adamson was director and co-writer of the first two films. Markus & McFeely also co-wrote the first two films. Johnson, Moore, Steur, and of course Gresham, all had producer credit on the first two films as well.

                Apted in fact has never had a writing credit on any of the twenty-odd fiction films he's directed (of those I've seen, my favorite is THUNDERHEART, from 1992). He's most admired for his documentaries.

                ---"lynnmaudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
                > ouch-- I fear you're right, Joan. :(
                > I had hopes because Michael Apted did such a good job with AMAZING GRACE... the problem clearly lies with producers & Walden Media. bleah.
                > -- Lynn --

                > --- "IcelofAngeln" <solicitr@> wrote:
                > > I am NOT encouraged. I think I see signs of major rewriting of the story, possibly worse than Caspian.

                > > --- "ftl_publications" <Joan.Marie.Verba@> wrote:
                > > > Theatrical Trailer for Voyage of the Dawn Treader
                > > > http://yhoo.it/aAxRIk
              • lynnmaudlin
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 11, 2010
                  Yeah, usually the director is ghod but in a series he/she had much less power (just as in television).

                  And what, you expect me to keep my disembodied electronic friends straight in the wee hours of the morning?! Bah! ;D

                  -- Lynn --