Re: [mythsoc] Old Issues of Mythprint

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2010
      This is a good question, Alana, one that really goes to the bailiwick of the Society Webmaster, Randy Hoyt. There are reasons why such a thing might be good, as well as reasons why it might not. Purely as a matter of analogy, if you lose an issue of a magazine in print, a publisher has no obligation to replace it; you'd have to purchase a back issue on your own. Digital issues could be subjected to the same rules, or we might treat them differently. We don't incur printing and shipping costs the way we would for paper copies; however, there are costs associated with server space, bandwidth, data transfers, etc. I'm not privy to those details myself, so I don't know whether they are significant or not.

      Anyway, to sum up: this is something the Stewards should discuss off the list, but thanks very much for bringing it up! :)

      Jason

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 20, 2010
        All of those issues make sense -- I knew it would be more complicated than just a simple request!

        Thanks for the consideration, Jason.

        -Alana

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 20, 2010
            I was the one Alana was communicating with -- my problem was that it was
            the one issue I looked at online, instead of my practice of downloading to
            my hard-drive. That's been remedied, and I've send her a copy. So we're
            all good and caught up!

            Technology, a wonderful thing!

            > Actually, after talking to another person who does not have issue 336 --
            > did
            > that issue go out? I've discovered that's the only one I'm missing. If
            > others also didn't get it, perhaps it could be resent?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Alana
            >
            > On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Jason Fisher
            > <visualweasel@...>wrote:
            >>

            >>> This is a good question, Alana, one that really goes to the bailiwick
            >>> of
            >>> the Society Webmaster, Randy Hoyt. There are reasons why such a thing
            >>> might
            >>> be good, as well as reasons why it might not. Purely as a matter of
            >>> analogy,
            >>> if you lose an issue of a magazine in *print*, a publisher has no
            >>> obligation to replace it; you'd have to purchase a back issue on your
            >>> own.
            >>> Digital issues could be subjected to the same rules, or we might treat
            >>> them
            >>> differently. We don't incur printing and shipping costs the way we
            >>> would for
            >>> paper copies; however, there are costs associated with server space,
            >>> bandwidth, data transfers, etc. I'm not privy to those details myself,
            >>> so I
            >>> don't know whether they are significant or not.
            >>>
            >>> Anyway, to sum up: this is something the Stewards should discuss off
            >>> the
            >>> list, but thanks very much for bringing it up! :)
            >>>
            >>> Jason
            >>>

            > --
            > Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
            > http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
            > Author of "Nomi's Wish" (
            > http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html), featured in
            > Coyote Wild Magazine
            > Contributor to Origins Award winner, Serenity Adventures:
            > http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
            > --

          • Jason Fisher