A perfect analogy

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2010
      From my friend Nick Birns, this comparison really made me chuckle:

      "I had a Tolkien insight the other week -- part of the problem in Gandalf's relationship with Saruman between 2851 and 3019 is that they are, in effect, in the same academic department -- the Department of the Istar. Gandalf, like so many of us, thinks he can take the department to a better place than his chair can, whereas the chair is looking out not for the good of the department but for himself."

      Jason
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2010
        Jason,
        The academic analogy of the Istari is brilliant.  But in academia, unlike Tolkien, Saruman would bring in a brand new administrative assistant. Prof. Mouthofsauron, and that person would be named the new department chair.  Saruman would be elevated to newly created post, the Academic Vice-President for Lies, Damned Lies, & Statistics.

        Gandalf, meanwhile, would be demoted to teaching Comp 001 at nearby high school adjunct campuses.  His only lit offering would be Orciah Poetry taught in the men's maximum security prison on the outskirts of Isengard.

        Foster

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5546 (20101019) __________

        http://www.eset.com