Re: [mythsoc] Re: religion in Tolkien

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 14, 2010
      Hi Ellen
         If you can, listen to Tolkien's thirty-minute radio interview with Denis Gueroult, where G. asks him this very question and gets a pretty good answer, direct from the horse's mouth.
         --JDR

      On Oct 14, 2010, at 3:08 PM, Ellen wrote:
      I've been reading these book suggestions with interest, because I'm scheduled to be on a panel at the World Fantasy Convention at the end of the month with the following topic.  Note that I did not have any part in coming up with this topic or its wording:
      ---
      Why is There No Religion in Middle Earth? Lin Carter used to argue about this. Why are there no priests and temples in Tolkien's world? Is it because Tolkien was squeamish about paganism (made up gods) or is there a more profound explanation?
      ---
      For starters, I don't think the question really works as framed.  I don't think one can claim that there is no religion in Middle Earth, so this is one of the first things I'd address.  What I would assume is meant is something more like, "why did the characters in LotR not participate in organized worship?"  I have not read Lin Carter's work but have requested it from my local library.  However, from what I've read I'm not sure how worthwhile it is as a source, since he wrote it well before the publication of The Silmarillion or Tolkien's letters.  Can anyone who has read Lin Carter's "Tolkien: A Look Behind the Lord of the RIngs" comment on this?

      My sources I am prepared to discuss are Tolkien's letters, particularly the draft of a letter to Peter Hastings from September 1954 (p. 152 in my edition), the biography by Humphrey Carpenter, and of course LotR and The Silmarillion.  I'm also taking another look at "Morgoth's Ring" because if I recall correctly, there is some relevant information in the section on the Laws and Customs of the Eldar.  It's been a while since I read HoME.

      Are there other sources I should check out before the panel?  Of the books suggested on the subject in this thread, is there one in particular that might be useful?  Keep in mind that this is a panel discussion and I'm sure the other panelists will bring some interesting things to the discussion, and I don't have much time between now and then.

      Thanks,

      Ellen Denham
    • John Rateliff
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 14, 2010
        Thanks all who responded. I've got a good list to start with now.
        Dale: I've read one of Caldecott's books but don't remember if it was this one; I'll check when I get back to Kent
        Mike: I'll have to pick up the Milbanks, which I didn't get under the mistaken impression it was mostly about GKC, rather than about them both. Thanks for the review.
        Jef & Christina: I've read the Kreeft, and while he's a good writer with a forceful point of view it bothered me that he seemed to think anything Lewis said could be taken as evidence Tolkien felt exactly the same way on any given issue.
        Margaret: I've read the Ellwood, but that's so many years ago now (thirty?) that the only detail I remember from it is that it's where I learned the word "scry". Time to re-read it.
        Christina: I've read the Pearce, and enjoyed his book -- it was high time someone approached Tolkien from that angle -- but like the Kreeft I thought him too doctrinaire. I've just finished the Birzer, and it was disappointment with it that sparked my initial query (his extensive research does not prevent too-frequent errors of fact, and his occasional insights don't keep him from egregious misinterpretations). The Purtill was one of the few early books I never got around to reading, so I'll see about remedying that.

        No one mentioned the Bruner and Ware: any good? I just started reading Dickerson, who gave a good lecture at the Wade tonight on Tolkien & Lewis & Xian ecology.

        --Thanks again for all the suggestions.

        --John R.

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 14, 2010
          John -

          See also the end of the 7th paragraph of my latest long post, where I give
          my recommendations, somewhat different from others': Dickerson, Fleming
          Rutledge's _The Battle for Middle-earth_ (overlong, clumsily organized,
          repetitive, impatient with Tolkien's discursions, but despite all that very
          good), and the intrepid pioneer Purtill.

          Bruner and Ware isn't really a religious study of Tolkien, but a set of
          sermons inspired on Tolkienian texts (and thus, like most sermons, not
          feeling required to stick to the text). Not bad, because the moral virtues
          they find in his work are really there, but not significant as a Tolkien
          study. Mark Eddy Smith and Sarah Arthur stick closer to Tolkien but are
          otherwise in the same category.

> [...]
          >>> the RIngs" comment on this?
          >>>
          >>> My sources I am prepared to discuss are Tolkien's letters, particularly
          >>> the draft of a letter to Peter Hastings from September 1954 (p. 152 in
          >>> my edition), the biography by Humphrey Carpenter, and of course LotR and
          >>> The Silmarillion. I'm also taking another look at "Morgoth's Ring"
          >>> because if I recall correctly, there is some relevant information in the
          >>> section on the Laws and Customs of the Eldar. It's been a while since I
          >>> read HoME.
          >>>
          >>> Are there other sources I should check out before the panel? Of the
          >>> books suggested on the subject in this thread, is there one in
          >>> particular that might be useful? Keep in mind that this is a panel
          >>> discussion and I'm sure the other panelists will bring some interesting
          >>> things to the discussion, and I don't have much time between now and

        • dale nelson
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 15, 2010
            This is very helpful, David.  To your second point ("and so on") I can add only that the faithful of Middle-earth have literal angels, messengers of God, in their midst, since "Gandalf is an angel," as Tolkien said somewhere in an interview.  Someone can remind me of the source; but I'm sure it had appeared by the time Imaginary Worlds was written, although I'm not sure that Lin Carter saw it.  Granted, Gandalf has idiosyncrasies that we don't usually associate with angels, even after his return from combat (cf. the war in heaven) with the Balrog.  But he appears among the faithful peoples to bring counsel, encouragement, correction, etc.  I actually think Tolkien took the angelic aspect about as far as he could without raising distracting questions among readers.  Similarly, I'm glad that it is not a commonplace of commentary on Tolkien to regard Gandalf as a Melchizedek/Melchisedec figure (the priest-king who appears to Abraham after his victory, etc.).... and so on.  (I don't think it entered Tolkien's mind to see Gandalf as an angel at first, back when he was writing The Hobbit, and I wouldn't care to speculate on when it was that Tolkien "realized" this.)

            Dale

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 15, 2010
              dale nelson wrote:

              >"Gandalf is an angel," as Tolkien said
              >somewhere in an interview. Someone can
              >remind me of the source; but I'm sure it
              >had appeared by the time Imaginary Worlds
              >was written, although I'm not sure that
              >Lin Carter saw it.

              Edmund Fuller, in 1962, published in the revision of his Tolkien article in Isaacs & Zimbardo's _Tolkien and the Critics_ in 1968. Too late for Carter to have seen it for his 1969 book (which omits mention of some 1968 post-Tolkien fantasies he would surely have referenced had he seen them, as he cites them enthusiastically in 1973). The Isaacs/Zimbardo collection is in his 1973 bibliography, but he had perhaps not read it closely. The quote was seized gratefully by enthusiastic Tolkienists, but Carter was not a Tolkienist. The only reason for citing this quote in this context today, rather than the further explanations in the Silmarillion and elsewhere, would be on the supposition that Carter _had_ seen it.
            • dale nelson
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 15, 2010
                Of course; although there hovers around Gandalf (in LOTR) the sense that he is a person of power who yet serves some greater power.  It is he who can tell Frodo that Bilbo was "meant" to find the Ring, and so on.  The "angel" remark merely confirms and makes explicit something that is already evident -- if one is prepared to see it.  I think your earlier message is right on target in saying that Lin Carter had an unduly restrictive, even on historical-cultural grounds, sense of what a "religion" looks like.

                Dale

                >remind me of the source; but I'm sure it
                >had appeared by the time Imaginary Worlds
                >was written, although I'm not sure that
                >Lin Carter saw it.

                Edmund Fuller, in 1962, published in the revision of his Tolkien article in Isaacs & Zimbardo's _Tolkien and the Critics_ in 1968. Too late for Carter to have seen it for his 1969 book (which omits mention of some 1968 post-Tolkien fantasies he would surely have referenced had he seen them, as he cites them enthusiastically in 1973). The Isaacs/Zimbardo collection is in his 1973 bibliography, but he had perhaps not read it closely. The quote was seized gratefully by enthusiastic Tolkienists, but Carter was not a Tolkienist. The only reason for citing this quote in this context today, rather than the further explanations in the Silmarillion and elsewhere, would be on the supposition that Carter _had_ seen it.

              • icelofangeln
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 16, 2010
                  Just to add a couple of points to John's post- not that I'm saying anything that others haven't said before, just reminding folks of them - Carter apparently didn't read very carefully.

                  "None of the many characters, not even the heroic warriors, so much as swears by his gods. Obviously because they _have_ no gods."

                  Clearly Carter missed "Mumak! May the Valar turn him aside!" In fact, backing up what John says, there are numerous examples in LR of a 'noble paganism' founded (in the fictional context) in actual knowledge of divine truth. "It is indeed a fundamentally Christian and even Catholic work, unconsciously in the writing, consciously so in the revision." A Elbereth Gilthoniel surely shouldn't have escaped Carter's notice, a hymn of praise to a divine being with unmistakable echoes of Mary Queen of Heaven. Nor should he have missed the rather obvious implications of the dell on Mindolluin.

                  And although Carter couldn't have known this in 1973, Tolkien certainly does include organized temple worship- evil, naturally. At least twice (the Akallabeth and the Tale of Adanel) we see Melkor-cults with fanes and human sacrifice; and Sauron is a God-King to his slaves, or at least a hierophant, Vicar of Melkor on Earth. In the Akallabeth in particular this is in intentional contrast to the non--organized non-temple worship, but worship all the same, associated with the summit of the Meneltarma.
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 16, 2010
                    I don't think that is John's post you are replying to. I think it was mine. John was the one asking for recommendations of books on Tolkien and religion.

                    Carter's inability to notice Tolkien's characters' invocations of the divine probably is a result of his having read, and written, too much hulking barbarian fiction in which the "by Crom!"-type oaths swarm in the air like bees. It isn't even the most imperceptive thing he says; a few pages earlier, he complains of Tolkien's "essential shallowness ... lack of real philosophical or psychological depth ... failure to explore the nature of evil." This has to rank among the top three or four most imperceptive remarks about LOTR ever made.

                    Thanks for mentioning the worship of Melkor imposed on Numenor in its decay. From an internal, character-based perspective, that experience should adequately explain _why_ the later Numenoreans in Gondor do not worship any false gods. They've seen what happens when you do that, and they're not making that mistake again.

                    DB

                  • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 16, 2010
                      There's so much wrong with Carter's real understanding of world-building,
                      that it deserves separate discussion. Heh. Maybe even a Mythcon paper.

                      Still, as much as I now, with the benefit of my education, can take apart
                      Carter's observations on Tolkien and fantasy world-building, I still have
                      to admit that but for him, I would not have encountered a whole flock of
                      fantasy novels. And seriously, I think his oversight of Ballantine's
                      fantasy line helped establish the sub-genre as viable in the marketplace.

                      But yes, he missed a lot in Tolkien - and was rather limited in his views
                      of what "religion" would look like.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 18, 2010
                          John -

                          Rutledge's opening did not disturb me. The kind that annoy me are the likes
                          of Matthew Lyons, who are so eager to assure you that they're not grubby
                          Tolkien FANS even as they're about to launch into obsessive book-length
                          discussions of him. Rutledge is merely saying that she's taking LOTR as
                          tabula rasa, rather than responding to previous scholars. People who start
                          this way often turn out to be entirely flaky, but the proof is in the
                          pudding, and this pudding I found good, with the caveats I mentioned before.
                          She has grasped the book by the right end of the stick.

                          If you do find anything attesting to Lewis's authorship of the Tolkien obit
                          in the Times, please let us know. (And let Walter Hooper know.) My
                          argument, when we discussed this before, was that in our current state of
                          knowledge it is no longer justifiable to say, without note or caution of
                          uncertainty, that Lewis wrote it. But anything that can advance our state
                          of knowledge, either way, would be highly desirable to have.

                          DB

                          Thanks for the additional info. I've been looking forward to eventually
                          reading the Rutledge (having initially been put off by her boast in the
                          first few pages that she's not a Tolkien scholar). I have the Mark Eddy
                          Smith as an audiobook (why that one was released in that format, out of all
                          the secondary works on Tolkien, is a bit of a mystery). I also have the
                          Sarah Arthur as a Kindle e-book. So I'll have plenty to keep me busy.
                          --John R.

                          On Oct 15, 2010, at 1:22 AM, David Bratman wrote:
                          > John -
                          >
                          > See also the end of the 7th paragraph of my latest long post, where I give
                          > my recommendations, somewhat different from others': Dickerson, Fleming
                          > Rutledge's _The Battle for Middle-earth_ (overlong, clumsily organized,
                          > repetitive, impatient with Tolkien's discursions, but despite all that
                          > very
                          > good), and the intrepid pioneer Purtill.
                          >
                          > Bruner and Ware isn't really a religious study of Tolkien, but a set of
                          > sermons inspired on Tolkienian texts (and thus, like most sermons, not
                          > feeling required to stick to the text). Not bad, because the moral
                          > virtues
                          > they find in his work are really there, but not significant as a Tolkien
                          > study. Mark Eddy Smith and Sarah Arthur stick closer to Tolkien but are
                          > otherwise in the same category.

                        • John Rateliff
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 19, 2010
                            Hi David
                               Good to hear about the Rutledge. I actually had the opposite reaction to the Lyons, in that I felt that he really got something important about Tolkien, and he got it right, and gave it the emphasis it deserved, more than anyone else before him. So I was willing to let slide his shortcomings more than wd have been the case with a run-of-the-mill effort.

                                I'll certainly let you know re. the obit if and when there's ever a definitive answer.* At present there's good evidence that Lewis wrote such a piece; the question is whether what was published in 1973 accurately represents what Lewis wrote. Basically there are three main possibilities:

                            (1) the published piece is Lewis's work, aside from the opening paragraphs (giving Tolkien's age at the time he died, &c) added to the file obit by a Times staffer.

                            (2) the published piece contains some genuine Lewis material, but it has been reworked to the extent that there's no way to say if a given line is Lewis's or not.

                            (3) the Lewis piece on file was at some point replaced by a wholly new piece, which is what got published.

                            Carpenter seems to have held position #1 without having the evidence to prove it

                            Hooper initially held position #1 but later shifted to somewhere between #2 and #3, whereupon he removed it from his bibliography.

                            I hold to position #1 as the most plausible option but do not yet have the evidence to prove it beyond all doubt.

                            --JDR

                            *I summed up my current thinking on it in my guest editorial to the most recent issue of MALLORN.

                            On Oct 18, 2010, at 9:55 PM, David Bratman wrote:
[...]

                          • Leslie A. Donovan
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 20, 2010
                              As someone who fights the Orcs and Sarumans of academia nearly daily now in
                              my new position as Acting Director (for one semester only, thanks be to all
                              higher powers!), this analogy gave me a much needed laugh today! Thanks to
                              Jason for passing it along and to Mike for expanding on it. I loved it!

                              Leslie

                              Leslie A. Donovan
                              Acting Director and Associate Professor
                              University Honors Program
                              MSC06 3890
                              1 University of New Mexico
                              Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
                              (505) 277-4313
                              ldonovan@...
                              http://www.unm.edu/~ldonovan
                            • Mike Foster
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 20, 2010

                                Note found in adjunct hobbit's faculty mailbox:

                                "MR. TOOK:

                                SEVERAL OF YOUR ORCISH STUDENTS IN THE 9 A.M. CLASS HAVE ASSERTED THAT YOUR REQUIREMENTS ARE TOO STRINGENT FOR ENGL 001 AND HAVE COMPLAINED THAT AN AUTOMATIC "C" FOR THREE SENTENCE ERRORS IS "ABUSIVE."

                                 PLEASE MEET WITH ME AND DEAN WORMTONGUE AT 10:20 SHARP TODAY IN ORDER TO CONVINCE US THAT YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO BE SENT TO THE LOCKHOLES TO TUTOR STONE TROLLS.

                                SINCERELY, DR. MOUTHOFSAURON"

                                __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5549 (20101020) __________

                                http://www.eset.com
                              • Mike Foster
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 20, 2010
                                  MR. BRANDYBUCK:
                                      IN LIGHT OF MR. TOOK'S DISMISSAL, WE MUST OBLIGE YOU TO TAKE OVER ALL HIS CLASSES AND GRADING RESPONSIBILITIES.

                                      PLEASE GRADE THE ATTACHED 27 ESSAYS "WHY I LOVE VICE-PRESIDENT SARUMAN" ESSAYS AND RETURN THEM  TO MR. TOOK'S CLASS BY YESTERDAY.

                                      WE REGRET THAT CURRENT FUNDING RESTRICTIONS MEAN WE CAN NOT PAY YOU FOR THIS EXTRA WORK AT THIS TIME.
                                  DR. MOUTHOFSAURON

                                  __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5549 (20101020) __________

                                  http://www.eset.com
                                • lynnmaudlin
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 20, 2010
                                    "Granted, Gandalf has idiosyncrasies that we don't usually associate with angels..."

                                    We have such limited (and yet varied!) sources on angels, I suspect that our 'associations' are fairly far-ranging! But you're right, we don't think of angels as staying in this dimension with the consistency which Gandalf does; we tend to think of them as miracle-workers (and I suppose the powers Gandalf exercises could be viewed in miraculous terms although I don't think that's really the way Tolkien presents it) who come and go, staying for much less time than Gandalf does. I mean, Gandalf eats, drinks, sleeps, etc. w/the company - we're not used to angels being *present* in that way (although Bertie MacAvoy had a very present angel...).

                                    Also, I think Carter ignored Celtic and Druidic history, too - stone circles but not a lot of structure or documentation left over for us to examine; he seems to have been stuck in the European Christian model of the middle ages.

                                    -- Lynn --

                                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, dale nelson <extollager2006@...> wrote:

                                    > This is very helpful, David. To your second point ("and so on") I can add only
                                    > that the faithful of Middle-earth have literal angels, messengers of God, in
                                    > their midst, since "Gandalf is an angel," as Tolkien said somewhere in an
                                    > interview. Someone can remind me of the source; but I'm sure it had appeared by
                                    > the time Imaginary Worlds was written, although I'm not sure that Lin Carter saw
                                    > it. Granted, Gandalf has idiosyncrasies that we don't usually associate with
                                    > angels, even after his return from combat (cf. the war in heaven) with the
                                    > Balrog. But he appears among the faithful peoples to bring counsel,
                                    > encouragement, correction, etc. I actually think Tolkien took the angelic
                                    > aspect about as far as he could without raising distracting questions among
                                    > readers. Similarly, I'm glad that it is not a commonplace of commentary on
                                    > Tolkien to regard Gandalf as a Melchizedek/Melchisedec figure (the priest-king
                                    > who appears to Abraham after his victory, etc.).... and so on. (I don't think
                                    > it entered Tolkien's mind to see Gandalf as an angel at first, back when he was
                                    > writing The Hobbit, and I wouldn't care to speculate on when it was that Tolkien
                                    > "realized" this.)
                                    >

                                    > Dale

                                  • Ellen
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
                                      Belated thanks to David, Sarah, William, John, and anyone else I've missed who helped put my question in perspective for my upcoming panel on Tolkien at World Fantasy.  Between your suggestions and what I've read in Tolkien's letters I feel like I'm (hopefully) armed to say some relevant things.

                                      Ellen Denham