Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien-related sword in Oxford pub?

  • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 12, 2010
      John Rateliff wrote:

      > Williams had been in Watie's Order and had been
      > Waite's choice to succeed him as its leader, but instead left to found
      > his own Order (of the Coinherence). There's an interesting, if brief,
      > discussion of this in G. A. Gil bert's biography of A.E.Waite.
      >
      > Crowley, in the words of Monty P., would have been Right Out.

      Speaking of this, has anybody else here read _Heaven's War_, a comic
      book with text by Micah Harris and art by Michael Gaydos, in which
      Charles Williams, helped by Lewis and Tolkien, stops the evil plans of
      Crowley? I found it a lot better than what that description sounds!

      Chivalrously,

      Beregond
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 12, 2010
        "Beregond, Anders Stenström" <beregond@...> wrote:

        > Speaking of this, has anybody else here read _Heaven's War_, a comic
        >book with text by Micah Harris and art by Michael Gaydos, in which
        >Charles Williams, helped by Lewis and Tolkien, stops the evil plans of
        >Crowley? I found it a lot better than what that description sounds!

        I found it a lot worse than the description sounds.
      • John Rateliff
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 14, 2010
          Hi Anders
          Yes, I've read it, and liked it more than David did.
          I give the author points for focusing attention on Williams, who's rather neglected in stories in which the Inklings feature as characters. But I was disappointed that the author didn't know much of anything about Tolkien, and so has him behave throughout as he imagines a traditionalist Catholic of the time wd have. Too bad. I'd say HEAVEN'S WAR is an interesting idea that didn't quite come off.

          On Oct 12, 2010, at 2:02 PM, Beregond, Anders Stenström wrote:

          > John Rateliff wrote:
          >> Williams had been in Watie's Order and had been
          >> Waite's choice to succeed him as its leader, but instead left to found
          >> his own Order (of the Coinherence). There's an interesting, if brief,
          >> discussion of this in G. A. Gil bert's biography of A.E.Waite.
          >>
          >> Crowley, in the words of Monty P., would have been Right Out.
          >
          > Speaking of this, has anybody else here read _Heaven's War_, a comic
          > book with text by Micah Harris and art by Michael Gaydos, in which
          > Charles Williams, helped by Lewis and Tolkien, stops the evil plans of
          > Crowley? I found it a lot better than what that description sounds!
          >
          > Chivalrously,
          >
          > Beregond
        • artiephesus
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 20, 2010
            I've just finished it, due to the mention of it here (the concept was too good for me to not check out for myself, and it was available in my library system). I agree with John re: Tolkien -- clearly, Harris wasn't particularly well versed in Tolkien's philosophy or writing (he cites the film version of FELLOWSHIP in his notes, saying that the story of the creation of orcs is told there, but is -- he believes -- actually told in THE SILMARILLION). Harris is most definitely interested in Williams, and I think his use of Williams's own writings, and the depiction of his relationship with Lewis, is nicely done.

            I also have to admit that I love the use of Williams vs. Crowley -- as a teaching assistant, I helped a professor design a role-playing adventure scenario around a similar premise for students on a study tour of England. (Exploring concepts of myth and storytelling through adventure role-playing to reinforce a mythology course is particularly enjoyable for me -- but then, I'm an RPG nerd outside of scholarship, as well.) We took far greater liberties than Harris does!

            Overall, I'm glad to have read it, and I particularly enjoyed the notes, but agree that it's a particularly bad representation of Tolkien.

            -Alana