Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien-related sword in Oxford pub?

Expand Messages
  • John Rateliff
    ... Although he outlived Williams by a year, Machen is unlikely, but his old friend Waite would have been an ideal choice, had he not himself died three years
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 6, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      On Oct 5, 2010, at 12:47 PM, dale nelson wrote:
      I've no idea, but wouldn't it have been something if the aged Arthur Machen had received it and then passed it to -- ?

      Although he outlived Williams by a year, Machen is unlikely, but his old friend Waite would have been an ideal choice, had he not himself died three years earlier. Williams had been in Watie's Order and had been Waite's choice to succeed him as its leader, but instead left to found his own Order (of the Coinherence). There's an interesting, if brief, discussion of this in G. A. Gilbert's biography of A.E.Waite.

      Crowley, in the words of Monty P., would have been Right Out.


      On Oct 5, 2010, at 11.25 AM, Mike Foster wrote:
      With all these Lewises, it's hard to tell Jack and the Detective Inspector apart, much less Meriwether.

      That's easy: Meriwether is the one who killed himself, CSL is the one relevant to this list, and Inspector is a sidekick given his own (tv-only) sequel-series.

      --John R.







    • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
      ... Speaking of this, has anybody else here read _Heaven s War_, a comic book with text by Micah Harris and art by Michael Gaydos, in which Charles Williams,
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 12, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        John Rateliff wrote:

        > Williams had been in Watie's Order and had been
        > Waite's choice to succeed him as its leader, but instead left to found
        > his own Order (of the Coinherence). There's an interesting, if brief,
        > discussion of this in G. A. Gil bert's biography of A.E.Waite.
        >
        > Crowley, in the words of Monty P., would have been Right Out.

        Speaking of this, has anybody else here read _Heaven's War_, a comic
        book with text by Micah Harris and art by Michael Gaydos, in which
        Charles Williams, helped by Lewis and Tolkien, stops the evil plans of
        Crowley? I found it a lot better than what that description sounds!

        Chivalrously,

        Beregond
      • David Bratman
        ... I found it a lot worse than the description sounds.
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 12, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          "Beregond, Anders Stenström" <beregond@...> wrote:

          > Speaking of this, has anybody else here read _Heaven's War_, a comic
          >book with text by Micah Harris and art by Michael Gaydos, in which
          >Charles Williams, helped by Lewis and Tolkien, stops the evil plans of
          >Crowley? I found it a lot better than what that description sounds!

          I found it a lot worse than the description sounds.
        • John Rateliff
          Hi Anders Yes, I ve read it, and liked it more than David did. I give the author points for focusing attention on Williams, who s rather neglected in stories
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 14, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            Hi Anders
            Yes, I've read it, and liked it more than David did.
            I give the author points for focusing attention on Williams, who's rather neglected in stories in which the Inklings feature as characters. But I was disappointed that the author didn't know much of anything about Tolkien, and so has him behave throughout as he imagines a traditionalist Catholic of the time wd have. Too bad. I'd say HEAVEN'S WAR is an interesting idea that didn't quite come off.




            On Oct 12, 2010, at 2:02 PM, Beregond, Anders Stenström wrote:

            > John Rateliff wrote:
            >> Williams had been in Watie's Order and had been
            >> Waite's choice to succeed him as its leader, but instead left to found
            >> his own Order (of the Coinherence). There's an interesting, if brief,
            >> discussion of this in G. A. Gil bert's biography of A.E.Waite.
            >>
            >> Crowley, in the words of Monty P., would have been Right Out.
            >
            > Speaking of this, has anybody else here read _Heaven's War_, a comic
            > book with text by Micah Harris and art by Michael Gaydos, in which
            > Charles Williams, helped by Lewis and Tolkien, stops the evil plans of
            > Crowley? I found it a lot better than what that description sounds!
            >
            > Chivalrously,
            >
            > Beregond
          • artiephesus
            I ve just finished it, due to the mention of it here (the concept was too good for me to not check out for myself, and it was available in my library system).
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 20, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              I've just finished it, due to the mention of it here (the concept was too good for me to not check out for myself, and it was available in my library system). I agree with John re: Tolkien -- clearly, Harris wasn't particularly well versed in Tolkien's philosophy or writing (he cites the film version of FELLOWSHIP in his notes, saying that the story of the creation of orcs is told there, but is -- he believes -- actually told in THE SILMARILLION). Harris is most definitely interested in Williams, and I think his use of Williams's own writings, and the depiction of his relationship with Lewis, is nicely done.

              I also have to admit that I love the use of Williams vs. Crowley -- as a teaching assistant, I helped a professor design a role-playing adventure scenario around a similar premise for students on a study tour of England. (Exploring concepts of myth and storytelling through adventure role-playing to reinforce a mythology course is particularly enjoyable for me -- but then, I'm an RPG nerd outside of scholarship, as well.) We took far greater liberties than Harris does!

              Overall, I'm glad to have read it, and I particularly enjoyed the notes, but agree that it's a particularly bad representation of Tolkien.

              -Alana

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
              >
              > Hi Anders
              > Yes, I've read it, and liked it more than David did.
              > I give the author points for focusing attention on Williams, who's rather neglected in stories in which the Inklings feature as characters. But I was disappointed that the author didn't know much of anything about Tolkien, and so has him behave throughout as he imagines a traditionalist Catholic of the time wd have. Too bad. I'd say HEAVEN'S WAR is an interesting idea that didn't quite come off.
              >
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.