Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien-related sword in Oxford pub?

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 4, 2010

      On Oct 4, 2010, at 4:53 PM, dale nelson wrote:
      Do you have a source for that, by the way?

      Can't remember offhand where I've read this, but it's from a pretty well-known source. I'll try to remember to flag it next time I I come across it.

      Not that it's relevant, but it did just occur to me that we do know of one Inkling who kept a ceremonial sword in his office: Charles Williams. He used it for rituals with his disciples who came to visit him (cf. LETTERS TO LALANGE). I wonder what ever became of it -- did it pass back to his family (widow & son), or did some other member of his order inherit it?

      --John R.

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
        With all these Lewises, it's hard to tell Jack and the Detective Inspector apart, much less Meriwether.

        I too recall the anecdote about Lewis pulling out a sword--could it've been Warnie's?--and threatening a student.  But is it true?

        Mike

        Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 12:44 AM
        Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien-related sword in Oxford pub?

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5506 (20101005) __________

        http://www.eset.com

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5506 (20101005) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • dale nelson
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
          I've no idea, but wouldn't it have been something if the aged Arthur Machen had received it and then passed it to -- ?

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
            And now...after many years...it's come down to...Jimmy Page.

            Mike

            Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 2:47 PM

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 6, 2010
              On Oct 5, 2010, at 12:47 PM, dale nelson wrote:
              I've no idea, but wouldn't it have been something if the aged Arthur Machen had received it and then passed it to -- ?

              Although he outlived Williams by a year, Machen is unlikely, but his old friend Waite would have been an ideal choice, had he not himself died three years earlier. Williams had been in Watie's Order and had been Waite's choice to succeed him as its leader, but instead left to found his own Order (of the Coinherence). There's an interesting, if brief, discussion of this in G. A. Gilbert's biography of A.E.Waite.

              Crowley, in the words of Monty P., would have been Right Out.

              On Oct 5, 2010, at 11.25 AM, Mike Foster wrote:
              With all these Lewises, it's hard to tell Jack and the Detective Inspector apart, much less Meriwether.

              That's easy: Meriwether is the one who killed himself, CSL is the one relevant to this list, and Inspector is a sidekick given his own (tv-only) sequel-series.

              --John R.

            • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 12, 2010
                John Rateliff wrote:

                > Williams had been in Watie's Order and had been
                > Waite's choice to succeed him as its leader, but instead left to found
                > his own Order (of the Coinherence). There's an interesting, if brief,
                > discussion of this in G. A. Gil bert's biography of A.E.Waite.
                >
                > Crowley, in the words of Monty P., would have been Right Out.

                Speaking of this, has anybody else here read _Heaven's War_, a comic
                book with text by Micah Harris and art by Michael Gaydos, in which
                Charles Williams, helped by Lewis and Tolkien, stops the evil plans of
                Crowley? I found it a lot better than what that description sounds!

                Chivalrously,

                Beregond
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 12, 2010
                  "Beregond, Anders Stenström" <beregond@...> wrote:

                  > Speaking of this, has anybody else here read _Heaven's War_, a comic
                  >book with text by Micah Harris and art by Michael Gaydos, in which
                  >Charles Williams, helped by Lewis and Tolkien, stops the evil plans of
                  >Crowley? I found it a lot better than what that description sounds!

                  I found it a lot worse than the description sounds.
                • John Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 14, 2010
                    Hi Anders
                    Yes, I've read it, and liked it more than David did.
                    I give the author points for focusing attention on Williams, who's rather neglected in stories in which the Inklings feature as characters. But I was disappointed that the author didn't know much of anything about Tolkien, and so has him behave throughout as he imagines a traditionalist Catholic of the time wd have. Too bad. I'd say HEAVEN'S WAR is an interesting idea that didn't quite come off.

                    On Oct 12, 2010, at 2:02 PM, Beregond, Anders Stenström wrote:

                    > John Rateliff wrote:
                    >> Williams had been in Watie's Order and had been
                    >> Waite's choice to succeed him as its leader, but instead left to found
                    >> his own Order (of the Coinherence). There's an interesting, if brief,
                    >> discussion of this in G. A. Gil bert's biography of A.E.Waite.
                    >>
                    >> Crowley, in the words of Monty P., would have been Right Out.
                    >
                    > Speaking of this, has anybody else here read _Heaven's War_, a comic
                    > book with text by Micah Harris and art by Michael Gaydos, in which
                    > Charles Williams, helped by Lewis and Tolkien, stops the evil plans of
                    > Crowley? I found it a lot better than what that description sounds!
                    >
                    > Chivalrously,
                    >
                    > Beregond
                  • artiephesus
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 20, 2010
                      I've just finished it, due to the mention of it here (the concept was too good for me to not check out for myself, and it was available in my library system). I agree with John re: Tolkien -- clearly, Harris wasn't particularly well versed in Tolkien's philosophy or writing (he cites the film version of FELLOWSHIP in his notes, saying that the story of the creation of orcs is told there, but is -- he believes -- actually told in THE SILMARILLION). Harris is most definitely interested in Williams, and I think his use of Williams's own writings, and the depiction of his relationship with Lewis, is nicely done.

                      I also have to admit that I love the use of Williams vs. Crowley -- as a teaching assistant, I helped a professor design a role-playing adventure scenario around a similar premise for students on a study tour of England. (Exploring concepts of myth and storytelling through adventure role-playing to reinforce a mythology course is particularly enjoyable for me -- but then, I'm an RPG nerd outside of scholarship, as well.) We took far greater liberties than Harris does!

                      Overall, I'm glad to have read it, and I particularly enjoyed the notes, but agree that it's a particularly bad representation of Tolkien.

                      -Alana