What Is a Message Recall Failure?

  • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19 9:11 AM
      --- Original Message ---
      From: WendellWag@...

      > In the past day I've gotten two messages on this mailing list with titles
      > that say "Message Recall Failure: Recall: [mythsoc] Mythprint Books
      > Available for Review". Each of them has a file attached to it that I
      couldn't
      > open. Are these merely bugs in the yahoogroups system? Should we just
      ignore
      > them?

      Ignore it. Don't open the file.

      Joan
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19 9:26 AM
        Some email programs offer a feature where the sender can "recall" a message *after* it has been sent. Compatible email programs will then "return" the message to the sender *before* the recipient has ever seen it. The problem is that many email applications these days (particularly web-based email) do not support this feature. Even when they do, it is common for the recipient to have already seen the message before the sender has requested it be "recalled". As a result, a "recall failure" message is generated and sent automatically. Bottom line, as Joan says, you can ignore these, but I thought it might be helpful to explain *what* they are. In this particular case, Berni meant to email only me but accidentally replied to the entire Listserv instead (no harm done), She tried to recall the message, so as not to bother everybody. Of course, due to the vagaries of technology, the exact opposite result was achieved. ;)p

        Best,
        Jason

        > In the past day I've gotten two messages on this mailing list with titles
        > that say "Message Recall Failure: Recall: [mythsoc] Mythprint Books
        > Available for Review". Each of them has a file attached to it that I
        couldn't
        > open. Are these merely bugs in the yahoogroups system? Should we just
        ignore
        > them?

        Ignore it. Don't open the file.

        Joan