Mythprint: Books Available for Review

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 18, 2010
      Hello, everyone. It's that time again. I still have a handful of books left over from previous announcements, together with quite a few new ones. If you see something on this list that you want to read and review for Mythprint, send me an email. First come, first served! As always, please include your snail-mail address to save me the time of asking or searching for it.

      One additional note: I will not keep books forever. Books that have been offered several times and remain unclaimed will eventually be donated to my local library. So if you see something you think you'd be interested in, better not to wait too long.

      Your friendly editor,
      Jason Fisher

      Mythprint — Available for Review [18 September 2010]

      Fiction

      Kelley Armstrong. Frostbitten (Bantam, 2010). [Paranormal romance / urban fantasy]

      J.K. Beck. When Blood Calls (Bantam, 2010). [Urban / paranormal romance]

      Galen Beckett. The House on Burrow Street (Ballantine, 2010). [Historical / gothic fantasy]

      John Birmingham. After America ( Del Rey Hardcover, 2010). [Alternative history / sci-fi]

      Darin Bradley. Noise: A Novel (Spectra, 2010). [Science fiction / fantasy]

      Terry Brooks. A Princess of Landover (Del Rey, 2010). [Fantasy]

      Terry Brooks. Legends of Shannara: Bearers of the Black Staff ( Del Rey Hardcover, 2010). [Fantasy]

      Harry Connolly. Game of Cages: A Twenty Palaces Novel (Del Rey, 2010). [Urban thriller]

      Carolyn Crane. Double Cross (Ballantine, 2010). [Urban / paranormal fantasy-noir]

      Richard Gwyn Davies. The Buddha at Culver (Unlimited, 2009). [Eclectic modern fantasy]

      Baron de la Motte Fouqué (ed. Amy Sturgis, ill. Jef Murray). The Magic Ring (Valancourt, 2010). [Fantasy]

      Diana Gabaldon. The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel (Del Rey, 2010). [Graphic novel / historical fantasy]

      Laurell K. Hamilton. Divine Misdemeanors (Ballantine, 2010). [Faerie romance; 8th book in the Meredith Gentry series]

      Peter F. Hamilton. The Evolutionary Void ( Del Rey Hardcover, 2010). [Science fiction]

      M.K. Hobson. The Native Star (Spectra, 2010). [Historical / magical fantasy]

      Richard Kadrey. Kill the Dead: A Sandman Slim Novel (Eos, 2010). [Supernatural fantasy-noir]

      Drew Karpyshyn. Mass Effect: Retribution (Del Rey, 2010). [Science-fiction; based on a video game]

      Patrick Lee. Ghost Country (Harper, 2010). [Paranormal / science-fiction]

      Todd McCaffrey. Dragongirl ( Del Rey Hardcover, 2010). [Fanstasy; 16th novel in the Pern series]

      Jack Rogan. The Ocean Dark (Ballantine, 2010). [Horror / thriller]

      Karen Traviss. Gears of War: Anvil Gate (Del Rey, 2010). [Sci-fi / dystopia based on a game]

      Harry Turtledove. The War That Came Early: West and East ( Del Rey Hardcover, 2010). [Alternate history]

      Bradley Wardell. Elemental: Destiny’s Embers (Del Rey, 2010). [Fantasy based on strategy game]

      Sean Williams. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (Del Rey, 2010). [Science fiction]

      Nonfiction

      Jamie Wood and Tara Seefeldt. The Wicca Cookbook: Recipes, Rituals, and Lore. 2nd ed. (Celestial Arts, 2010)

    • bernip
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 18, 2010
        Hi, Jason.

        If no one else wants the paranormal romances, I'm willing to look at them.  If they're as bad as the last ones, though, they won't get reviewed.  (I couldn't even finish reading the last ones, they were that bad.)

        So I will take:
            J.K. Beck. When Blood Calls (Bantam, 2010). [Urban / paranormal romance]
            Carolyn Crane. Double Cross (Ballantine, 2010). [Urban / paranormal fantasy-noir]
            Diana Gabaldon. The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel (Del Rey, 2010). [Graphic novel / historical fantasy]  (I'm a comic book geek and Gabaldon is well-known name, although I've never  read her stuff.)

        I already own and have read (and recommend) the Kelley Armstrong. Frostbitten (Bantam, 2010). [Paranormal romance / urban fantasy] so I won't take that.  I love Kelley Armstrong, but this is a novel about established characters in her Women of the Otherworld series.  It's the second or third novel featuring Elena, the female werewolf. I'm not sure how good it would work as an intro to the series so I wouldn't review it.  (This is sometimes the problem with the other Mythprint review books as well.)

        Snail mail:
                 Berni Phillips
                 1663 Albatross Drive
                 Sunnyvale, CA 94087

        If you're sending stuff to David, too, they can be combined if that's easier.

        I also just received an ARC of Passion Play, a first novel by Beth Bernobich which is dedicated to Sherwood.  If that's good (and appropriate for Mythprint), I will review it.

        Regards,
        Berni

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2011
          One and All,

          Thanks to our industrious webmaster, there is now a page on the Mythopoeic Society website which I can keep up to date with all the books I have available for review in Mythprint. I have just finished updating this new page with the books I still have. Earlier today, I dropped off about a hundred that no one has ever claimed to my local library. They were pleased, even if we had no takers here!

          Be sure to stop by the new page often — just go ahead and bookmark it, why don't you?

          In case you are wondering about those numbers in parentheses after each title, that's the date I added the book to the website. They're all the same today, but they won't be for long. This will help me (and you, if you're interested) to keep track of how quickly each book is aging on the list, so that I can weed them out more aggressively going forward. Therefore, if you see something you'd like to read and review, don't wait too long to contact me. By the time you speak up, it may be gone. I don't intend to keep books longer than a few months (at most; it will depend in part on how many the publishers are sending me).

          I'm always happy to hear from readers too, so drop me a line once in a while. Unlike the protagonists of many of these books, I don't bite. ;)

          Your humble editor,
          Jason
        • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2011
            > I'm always happy to hear from readers too, so drop me a line once in a while.
            > Unlike the protagonists of many of these books, I don't bite. ;)

            This is great, Jason. May I make a suggestion? Could you post a reminder to the
            list maybe once a month?

            Thanks,
            Joan
          • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2011
              What an EXCELLENT idea, Jason. And I will be bookmarking the page!

              Hey, this internet thing is actually turning out to be useful. We should
              keep it around!
              ;-)

              Sarah

              > One and All,
              >
              > Thanks to our industrious webmaster, there is now a page on the Mythopoeic
              > Society website which I can keep up to date with all the books I have
              > available
              > for review in Mythprint. I have just finished updating this new page with
              > the
              > books I still have. Earlier today, I dropped off about a hundred that no
              > one has
              > ever claimed to my local library. They were pleased, even if we had no
              > takers
              > here!
              >
              > Be sure to stop by the new page often — just go ahead and bookmark it,
              > why don't
              > you?
              > http://www.mythsoc.org/mythprint/books/
              >
              > In case you are wondering about those numbers in parentheses after each
              > title,
              > that's the date I added the book to the website. They're all the same
              > today, but
              > they won't be for long. This will help me (and you, if you're interested)
              > keep track of how quickly each book is aging on the list, so that I can
              > weed
              > them out more aggressively going forward. Therefore, if you see something
              > you'd
              > like to read and review, don't wait too long to contact me. By the time
              > you
              > speak up, it may be gone. I don't intend to keep books longer than a few
              > months
              > (at most; it will depend in part on how many the publishers are sending
              > me).
              >
              > I'm always happy to hear from readers too, so drop me a line once in a
              > while.
              > Unlike the protagonists of many of these books, I don't bite. ;)
              >
              > Your humble editor,
              > Jason
            • Jason Fisher
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2011
                Good suggestion! I certainly can post periodic reminders, so long as nobody feels I am nagging -- or at least, only minimally nagging. :)

                > I'm always happy to hear from readers too, so drop me a line once in a while.
                > Unlike the protagonists of many of these books, I don't bite. ;)

                This is great, Jason. May I make a suggestion? Could you post a reminder to the
                list maybe once a month?

                Thanks,
                Joan

              • dale nelson
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2011
                  Jase,

                  Do you think there are very many Mythopoeic Society members around who actually read all these Book Eight in the Court of the Crimson King Series-type things?   ;-)

                  Dale

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 5, 2011
                    Hey Dale, no, not too many. And if nobody speaks up for 'em, I won't keep 'em around.