Gaius and Titius and Orbilius

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010
      Has anyone read The Control of Language: A Critical Approach to Reading and Writing by Alec King and Martin Ketley or The Reading and Writing of English by E. G. Biaggini?  You're probably saying, "Huh, what's that got to do with the Inklings?"  The first book is the one referred to in Lewis's The Abolition of Man as The Green Book by Gaius and Titius and the second book, not given a name in The Abolition of Man, is the one supposedly written by Orbilius.  We're reading The Abolition of Man in Knossos (the Washington, D.C. area Mythopoeic group) for November, so I decided it would be nice to read those books along with it.  They are what inspired Lewis to write The Abolition of Man because he found the attitudes expressed in them to be so absurd.  Has anyone read them and wish to comment on them?

      Wendell Wagner
    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2010
        That's interesting, Wendell.  I'd say that the discussion goes beyond a "brief mention" in _The Narnian: The Life & Imagination of C.S. Lewis_ by Alan Jacobs, though you've probably read that.  But, just in case you haven't, you'd definitely want to look at it before writing a paper.

        On Nov 7, 2010, at 5:50 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        Having now read Gaius and Titius and Orbilius

        Posted by: "WendellWag@..." WendellWag@...  wendell_wagner

        Sat Nov 6, 2010 11:43 am (PDT)

        As I mentioned two months ago, I decided to read The Control of Language:
        A Critical Approach to Reading and Writing by Alec King and Martin Ketley
        and The Reading and Writing of English by E. G. Biaggini. The first book is
        the one referred to in C. S. Lewis's The Abolition of Man as The Green
        Book by Gaius and Titius and the second book, not given a name in The
        Abolition of Man, is the one supposedly written by Orbilius. Has anyone ever done
        a paper at Mythcon or published an article in any Mythopoeic publication
        about them? It's hard for me to tell just from Googling, but it appears to
        me that they are briefly mentioned in a couple of books about Lewis. Has
        anyone read any lengthy analysis of these books in relation to Lewis? These
        books, especially The Control of Language, are long out of print and rather
        hard to find these days, although you might be able to get them on used
        books websites.[. . .]

        David Lenander
        2095 Hamline Ave. N.
        Roseville, MN 55113

        651-292-8887

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2010

            My master index shows no Mythlore or published Mythcon proceedings papers on the topic. As far as papers that were presented but not published, I don’t know, but that might be another index that could be developed at some point!

            Janet

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 10, 2010
              Wendell,

              I've held the copy of The Control of Language at the Wade, and if I remember correctly, it's heavily annotated, but mainly near the front (though there are some notes and page references on the inside back cover). Don't take my word for it, though; I'd recommend looking at the book yourself if you were to write an article. You can see how some of his immediate reactions translated into arguments in Abolition of Man.

              Cole Matson