Re: [mythsoc] Re: Oo, oo, oo, now we're prestigious

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2010
      Lynn,

      I was joking.  I was just so surprised that they referred to the Mythopoeic Awards as "prestigious" that I thought about what sort of snide, jerky comment they could have made about the awards if they had my natural talent for snide jerkiness.  Of course there are other traditions that now outshine the one of food sculpture, like that of awarding a crown with stars and planets hanging from it to anyone who has attended Mythcons their whole life when they get a Ph.D. in astrophysics.

      Wendell

      In a message dated 8/30/2010 4:15:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lynnmaudlin@... writes:

      Maybe your tongue is firmly planted in your check, but if you've been attending the same Mythcon banquets I've attended, the making of food sculptures is a fun activity but the Mythopoeic Awards are *important*...

      I'm very glad to see people outside the Society take the awards seriously - that's a good thing.

      -- Lynn --

    • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 30, 2010
        Exactly, Lynn! The food sculptures are fun and creative, but ephemoral.

        The awards are permanent -- and a definitive statement about the things we
        hold to be important.

        > Maybe your tongue is firmly planted in your check, but if you've been
        > attending the same Mythcon banquets I've attended, the making of food
        > sculptures is a fun activity but the Mythopoeic Awards are *important*...
        >
        > I'm very glad to see people outside the Society take the awards seriously
        > - that's a good thing.
        >
        > -- Lynn --
        >

        > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@... wrote:
        >>
        >> In the biography of Nancy Springer on the cover of her book The Case of
        >> the Bizarre Bouquets, it says that she twice won an Edgar Award and that
        >> she
        >> has been nominated for the prestigious Mythopoeic Fantasy Award. So
        >> the
        >> Mythopoeic Award merits the term "prestigious" that the Edgar doesn't.
        >> started a thread here a few years ago about the fact that the Mythopoeic
        >> Awards were getting mentioned in various things as being on the same
        >> level as
        >> the Hugo or the Nebula, but now we're a prestigious award. And the
        >> blurb
        >> could have said something disparaging like "She was given an award at
        >> some-or-other banquet where the making of food sculptures overshadows
        >> the award
        >> presentation."
        >>
        >> Wendell Wagner

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31, 2010
          Hey, I think ANYONE who has attended Mythcons all their life OUGHT to have a crown of planets & stars upon earning their PhD in astrophysics! I'll stand by that one--!! ;D

          -- Lynn --