Re: [mythsoc] Oo, oo, oo, now we're prestigious

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2010
      Awards of any kind are considered very good for sales.

      As a former Mythopoeic Awards administrator, I can testify to the trouble taken to get "winner of the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award" on the cover of a paperback edition, when that edition went to press just after the award was determined.

      And as a former Hugo Awards administrator, I can testify to the tizzy thrown by a successful and already award-winning author when the rules made the competition for the award tougher than he'd been expecting.
    • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29, 2010
        > As a former Mythopoeic Awards administrator, I can testify to the trouble
        taken to get "winner of the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award" on the cover of a
        paperback edition, when that edition went to press just after the award was
        determined.

        I purchased a book which had that on the cover and was suitably impressed that
        they had placed the fact that they had won the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award on the
        cover.

        > And as a former Hugo Awards administrator, I can testify to the tizzy thrown
        by a successful and already award-winning author when the rules made the
        competition for the award tougher than he'd been expecting.

        Which one was tougher than he'd been expecting? The Hugo or the Mythopoeic
        Fantasy?

        Joan
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2010
          Joan.Marie.Verba@... wrote:
          >> And as a former Hugo Awards administrator, I can testify to the tizzy thrown
          >>by a successful and already award-winning author when the rules made the
          >>competition for the award tougher than he'd been expecting.
          >
          >Which one was tougher than he'd been expecting? The Hugo or the Mythopoeic
          >Fantasy?

          That entire paragraph that you quoted is about the Hugo Awards, not the Mythopoeic Award.
        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 30, 2010
            Maybe your tongue is firmly planted in your check, but if you've been attending the same Mythcon banquets I've attended, the making of food sculptures is a fun activity but the Mythopoeic Awards are *important*...

            I'm very glad to see people outside the Society take the awards seriously - that's a good thing.

            -- Lynn --

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 30, 2010
              Lynn,

              I was joking.  I was just so surprised that they referred to the Mythopoeic Awards as "prestigious" that I thought about what sort of snide, jerky comment they could have made about the awards if they had my natural talent for snide jerkiness.  Of course there are other traditions that now outshine the one of food sculpture, like that of awarding a crown with stars and planets hanging from it to anyone who has attended Mythcons their whole life when they get a Ph.D. in astrophysics.

              Wendell

            • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 30, 2010
                Exactly, Lynn! The food sculptures are fun and creative, but ephemoral.

                The awards are permanent -- and a definitive statement about the things we
                hold to be important.

                > Maybe your tongue is firmly planted in your check, but if you've been
                > attending the same Mythcon banquets I've attended, the making of food
                > sculptures is a fun activity but the Mythopoeic Awards are *important*...
                >
                > I'm very glad to see people outside the Society take the awards seriously
                > - that's a good thing.
                >
                > -- Lynn --
                >

                > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@... wrote:
                >>
                >> In the biography of Nancy Springer on the cover of her book The Case of
                >> the Bizarre Bouquets, it says that she twice won an Edgar Award and that
                >> she
                >> has been nominated for the prestigious Mythopoeic Fantasy Award. So
                >> the
                >> Mythopoeic Award merits the term "prestigious" that the Edgar doesn't.
                >> started a thread here a few years ago about the fact that the Mythopoeic
                >> Awards were getting mentioned in various things as being on the same
                >> level as
                >> the Hugo or the Nebula, but now we're a prestigious award. And the
                >> blurb
                >> could have said something disparaging like "She was given an award at
                >> some-or-other banquet where the making of food sculptures overshadows
                >> the award
                >> presentation."
                >>
                >> Wendell Wagner

              • lynnmaudlin
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 31, 2010
                  Hey, I think ANYONE who has attended Mythcons all their life OUGHT to have a crown of planets & stars upon earning their PhD in astrophysics! I'll stand by that one--!! ;D

                  -- Lynn --