Re: absurd used book prices

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9 11:20 AM
      There may be an element of that, Janet - it can offset other income. I suspect there's also an element of "what the market will bear" going on....

      -- Lynn --

      > Maybe it's some kind of a tax dodge? Holding unsold property worth X dollars gets you a break on taxes?
      >
      > Janet

    • Zachary Bos
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9 11:28 AM
        When books aren't widely available yet, many resellers will mark-up
        prices 100-fold, to see, as Lynn suggests, what the market will bear.
        A colleague of mine had his book published in Holland, a scholarly
        treatment of Persian poetry, and before the publisher had made
        arrangements for a standard listing to appear on Amazon, a reseller
        posted the book on its own Amazon account, for 40 times the cover
        price. It's the usual speculation of a product the market hasn't price
        yet.

        - Zachary