RE: [mythsoc] Re: absurd used book prices

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9 9:57 AM

      Maybe it’s some kind of a tax dodge? Holding unsold property worth X dollars gets you a break on taxes?

      Janet

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9 11:20 AM
        There may be an element of that, Janet - it can offset other income. I suspect there's also an element of "what the market will bear" going on....

        -- Lynn --

        > Maybe it's some kind of a tax dodge? Holding unsold property worth X dollars gets you a break on taxes?
        >
        > Janet

      • Zachary Bos
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9 11:28 AM
          When books aren't widely available yet, many resellers will mark-up
          prices 100-fold, to see, as Lynn suggests, what the market will bear.
          A colleague of mine had his book published in Holland, a scholarly
          treatment of Persian poetry, and before the publisher had made
          arrangements for a standard listing to appear on Amazon, a reseller
          posted the book on its own Amazon account, for 40 times the cover
          price. It's the usual speculation of a product the market hasn't price
          yet.

          - Zachary