Re: absurd used book prices

  • Margaret L. Carter
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9 9:08 AM
      Such things happen -- I have never seen a reasonable explanation. An
      author on one of my e-mail loops found a used copy of one of her books
      that isn't even out of print listed on Amazon.com for hundreds of
      dollars. Lying in wait for the gullible? Hard to think of any other
      rationale.

      Several times I've seen used copies of in-print books offered on
      Alibris for prices higher than the new price, although not to an absurd
      level. Why would any buyer in his or her right mind purchase a used
      copy on those terms unless it's labeled as autographed by the author or
      something?

      Margaret Carter
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9 9:57 AM

        Maybe it’s some kind of a tax dodge? Holding unsold property worth X dollars gets you a break on taxes?

        Janet

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9 11:20 AM
          There may be an element of that, Janet - it can offset other income. I suspect there's also an element of "what the market will bear" going on....

          -- Lynn --

          > Maybe it's some kind of a tax dodge? Holding unsold property worth X dollars gets you a break on taxes?
          >
          > Janet

        • Zachary Bos
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 9 11:28 AM
            When books aren't widely available yet, many resellers will mark-up
            prices 100-fold, to see, as Lynn suggests, what the market will bear.
            A colleague of mine had his book published in Holland, a scholarly
            treatment of Persian poetry, and before the publisher had made
            arrangements for a standard listing to appear on Amazon, a reseller
            posted the book on its own Amazon account, for 40 times the cover
            price. It's the usual speculation of a product the market hasn't price
            yet.

            - Zachary